John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a side by side refregerator (KichenAid-KSCS25FSS02 made

Customer Question

I have a side by side refregerator (KichenAid-KSCS25FSS02 made in 12/03 and for 8 years now it has been trouble free. Then all of a sudden it started smelling like spoiled fish. So we check to make sure all the food that was in plastic or glass containers was good and we threw all the remaining food away. We took out all the shelves and racks and washed them down three times with soap and water with a little bleach. With the extreme heat here in Texas, we thought that the water might have sediments so we took out the icemaker and threw all the ice away. We change the water filter, but still the smell keeps coming back.
So, why does a refrigerator work and smell perfectly for 8 years and then all of a sudden, it has this foul order like bad fish?
What do I need to do? Thanks, Rob & Gloria Tennison
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Rob and Gloria,

Take a look in the freezer, unplug the refrigerator. The lower rear freezer wall is not to difficult to remove. Remove that wall and behind there you will find some coils. Wrapped around those coils is a heater, its just a black tube with wires. Check that over really well. Is that damaged anywhere?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed this metal panel and found the coils to be clean and the wires (heater strip) to be in tact without any visible damage. The refrigerator is defrosting find, so I believe these wires are working properly.

We removed all the food items and left the doors open for several hours until the smell went away. We then turned the refrigerator back on and left it empty overnight. This morning the smell was back.

Any other suggestions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any other suggestions?