Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

the front load door on our kenmore elite washer model no. 970-c40062-00

Customer Question

the front load door on our kenmore elite washer model no. 970-c40062-00 ser. no. xc04208353 will not close and lock to start the cycle. Normally there is an audible click when closing the door and before the cycle begins. I checked that power is ok at the outlet and washer is properly pluged in. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name is Mike, I will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

The likely problem here is the door lock is bad (common problem) Take the 3 screws out along the back of the top lip at the back. Slide the top back and lift it off the machine.

Next open the door and take the screws out holding locking assembly in place, you should now be able to reach down inside and pull the old lock out and install the new lock.

The new lock can be purchased at any local parts supplier, simply take the model number with you.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you have no further questions please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.
Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mike,

After searching for most of the day to find this part, which costs almost $80, I changed the lock, plugged the washer back in and it made no difference at all.

The door still wont lock. and the part can't be returned.

All in all, including my time, gas and the part, I figure I'm out of pocket close to $200, and now I have to call in a repair service anyway. so I don't think i'll be accepting your answer

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
ok