Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

THe ice-maker is making ice OK--but it drips water that turns

THe ice-maker is making ice OK--but it drips water that turns to ice and even builds stalacties and stalagmites of ice in the freezer unit of this Kenmore refrigerator. I have the impression the Sears repairman did a lousy job--or the product itself--the new icemaker--faulty. Sadly, I have neither the name/number of the Sears guy nor information about any kind of warranty on the product.

Any ideas how to proceed? Busy week-end but would like to have the repairman to return and clean up the problem. Thanks for touching base.

As ever, Bill
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If your unit is a 2006 unit, then it's not dovered under warranty, so you'd be on your own for the repair. If the icemaker is dripping, that means that your teflon inside the mold is chipping, or the seal between the icemaker head and the icemaker mold is bad. Either way, a new icemaker is require to fix the issue. Below is a link to the icemaker you'd need to order and replace.

Also, below is a link to a video that will show you how to replace it.