Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an electric Amana dryer. After a cycle, I saw coins

Customer Question

I have an electric Amana dryer. After a cycle, I saw coins in the lint trap. They fell into the dryer. I cannot see them. I imagine they need to come out. I took off the 3 screws from the lint area cover, but I couldn't pop it out. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you by chance? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way if you open the door.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NDE2335AYW
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
You have to take the front panel off to access inside the lint housing area. To access, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel. These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel. If both clips are pushed back, the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards so that you can access the screws coming from the inside going into the front panel. Remove these screws and the front panel will hinge down and off so you can clean inside the lint housing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I need to take off the front panel of the washer? I tried locating the metal spring clips. I found two - what seemed to be white/clear round connectors - but they were immovable.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I think you mean dryer not washer, but yes--you must remove the front panel. The metal clips are about 1-2 inches torward the middle of each of those plastic round connectors. They are there so just slide a putty knife from the middle out until you hit them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay so I finally got the top popped up. Where are the screws from the inside to the top panel. The only ones I saw were the ones (clear/white connectors) that I was hitting instead of the metal hinges - and removing those don't do anything. I see some more further down, but cannot access them.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
The screws are on the right and left side (there are just 2). They are coming from the inside of the dryer going into the front panel.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are they regular phillips screws or am I looking for something else?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
they are "hex" 1/4" or 5/16" screws.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the front panel off, but how do I get to the inside of the lint housing?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Remove the 4 screws (2 left and 2 right) holding the front drum support onto the left and right side panel. Now you can remove the front drum support with lint filter housing to clean inside. Be sure the dryer is unplugged of course
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay so now how do I make sure the front drum support is on correctly?! This is way more difficult than you lead me to believe!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
sorry, I wasn't leading you to believe it was easy or hard, I was just telling you the process of doing what you requested. When you turn the dryer on, you'll hear if it's on correctly or not. It will make a little noise the first 5 seconds but then it shoudl smooth out if it's on correct.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wasn't available during the holiday weekend. The dryer seems to be working fine, however, now the light isn't working. I imagine this is one of the wires near the top right of the washer - which one do I need to check?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately I wouldn't be able to tell you without being there and looking at the schematic since Amana doesn't list them digitally.