Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Frigidaire Gallery GLRSF266J side by side refridgerator.

I have a Frigidaire Gallery GLRSF266J side by side refridgerator. Every few hours a stream of water runs out of the freezer side onto the floor for a few seconds. Ice covers the freezer floor. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Once every 8 to 10 hours your refrigerator defrosts the cold coils in the freezer. There is a drain that the water goes out through the floor under those coils and into a drain pan under the refrigerator where that water evaporates. Your defrost drain has become clogged and the water is running out on the floor instead of going down that drain.

If you remove everything out of the freezer, and then the lower rear panel arrowed red in the diagram you will see the coils that get cold. Directly under those is the drain which is a dime size hole. You will probably have to remove a bunch of ice to get to it as well. Once you get the ice out pour a cup of warm water through the drain to see if it was only clogged with ice. You can also take something flexible and push down through that to help clear that out. Algae and food particles get inside the trap and over time clog the drain. Do not pour bleach down that drain. Just warm water.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks. Is the correct proceedure here to follow the advice and if it works pay the fee? Can I come back to this page to do so when I'm done in the office and get home to the kitchen?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes of course I would want you to return and ask if you get stuck or have another question. You can save this page to your favorites and return for 30 days. Today I will be out in about 10 minutes for 2 and one half hours and after that I will be here the rest of the day and several hours tonight. You can accept now or later, whichever makes you feel better.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Barry thanks again. I saved the page and will work on it later. It sounds logical but I haven't used your service before so I'll pay upon completion, should be today. Another great internet resource! What a country. Have a good 4th and I'll be back.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You have a good 4th TOO ,thanks! I will be here and see you then.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Barry,
I unloaded the freezer and never asked if it was ok to shut off the freezer and leave the refrigerator running. Also whether there was any particular sequence I should go through firing it back up after clearing the drain.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
What you need to look out for are lights on that back wall. If there are lights there will be 120 volt wires and you will need to unplug the unit. There will be a fan behind that wall and that as well will have 120 volts to it. I think from looking at the diagrams you will be ok but the diagrams are not always correct. So be careful. I would unplug the fridge, it should'nt take more than an hour.

No there is not anything special you need to do beyond unclogging the drain and turning the unit back on as you normally do.

I have all of my running done so if you need anything give me a shout. I am here for a while now.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Ok, panel off but the coils are shrouded by a flimsy aluminum shroud and there is only about a half inch between the shroud bottom and the freezer interior. If there is a drain under there the coils will have to come out to access. Any chance you get to the drain through the back? Can I take a picture and send it to you from myXXX@XXXXXX.XXX addy?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes you can send a picture. In the form where you type there should be a toolbar with a paper clip in that toolbar. Thats to add pictures. If there is an aluminum catch pan holding the lower panel you will need to lift that rear panel over it, it does not come out.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the picture. That helps alot. I have arrowed below where the drain is. Its directly in the center of those coils at the bottom.

Yes there is a drain tube you can see from the back if you remove the rear outside lower panel. Be sure to melt the front first and you may be able to push something through there if the ice is melted. When I have to put something in that tube I use 1/4 inch tubing, but anything flexible will do ok.
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, once defrosted the shroud bottom slopes to the interior; less than a quarter inch to some kind of flying saucer shaped plug about 1 1/2 inches in diameter with a flat piece of metal sticking up through the shroud. So I abandoned the front and went around back, pulled the drain hose out of the tray fixture and cleared it. What a crummy design. If the problem were right at the entrance under the shroud one would be screwed.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand fully, its a dang pain in the butt! And yes the design needs improvment. Did you pour a little water down from the top?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Really no space to do it without using a hypodermic needle or some such remote irrigation device. 36 hours later all is well with the drain and I hit the accept answer button. I'm not sure the drain was the whole problem. When I swing the freezer door open water drains from behind the magnetic seal surrounding the door onto the floor. I'm thinking one of two things:
1- the water/ice in door thing has a leak too (is there something I can checkout?) or....
2- the water from the first problem had leached behind the magnetic gasket over time and soaked the insulation in the door.
Either way, should I take the door apart? How do I do that? I still have water on the floor. Not as much though. Thanks