The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My frigidaire galley series front end washer will not start.

Customer Question

My frigidaire galley series front end washer will not start. When I push the start button the estimated time flashes and then "pause" flashes but there is no action beyond that.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

What you will need to do is see if you can pull the error codes from the units memory. Please see the screen shot from the service manual below for the procedure.

Full Size Image

The Home Smithy :

If the unit will not go into the diagnostics mode then you have a failed control board. Please let me know what you come up with and we can go from there.

The Home Smithy :

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will recieve a notice at the top of my screen when you have replied.
Thank you.

Customer :

I performed the diagnostic test for the machine by pressing the start and pause cancel buttons simultaneously and got a readout that said E41

The Home Smithy :

Ok one moment please.

The Home Smithy :

Ok looks like a door lock indicator switch (PTC) has failed. Please stand by and I will upload a service manual for you to work from.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual. Go to page 64 and perform test #9. The information to access the door lock is on page 69 of the manual.

The Home Smithy :

If the unit failes the test then replace the door lock. Parts should be available locally or via the internet at http://appliancezone.com There is a chat feature at the top left of the screen. Just provide the operator with your model number and they will be happy to look up the part for you.

The Home Smithy :
Customer :

How do I measure the resistance of the PTC?

The Home Smithy :

You will need a volt ohm meter to do that. You can get one at Home Depot for about 10 - 15 bucks, or maybe borrow one from a neighbor.

Customer :

Customer :

How do I measure the resistance of the PTC

Customer :

How do I measure the resitance of the PTC?

Customer :

Thanks I will try this.

The Home Smithy :

Do you know how to use a volt ohm meter?

The Home Smithy :

If you have a friend or neighbor that has a volt ohm meter just ask them to do the test for you. It is a simple continuity test. Once you see how it is done Im sure you will be able to do the test yourself.

The Home Smithy :
Customer :

I am having trouble removing the bellows from the front panel. Any suggestions?

The Home Smithy :

did you get the retaining spring out?

Customer :

no where is that located?

The Home Smithy :

Do you have the manual I sent you?

Customer :

yes. I just printed out page 64 and 69 but can easily refer to other pages. I will take a look

The Home Smithy :

Page 69 has a picture at the bottom showing how to remove the spring from the boot.

The Home Smithy :

Sometimes printers do not print out pages as indicated on the page numbers. Please look at the manual on your computer screen.

The Home Smithy :

Printers will count the cover page as page one.

Customer :

just tested the PTC and it read 2 on the OHM meter

The Home Smithy :

Sorry for the delay replying. I was busy with another customer.

The Home Smithy :

The PTC should have an ohms value in the 1000 range. Please make sure that you have the ohms meter set to a range that will display more than just one number when you do the test.

Customer :

my ohms meter is an analog meter with a needle that goes from 0 to 200. Is it possible that those are thousands?

The Home Smithy :

Is the needle just below the 2?

Customer :

No just over

Customer :

excuse me just below

The Home Smithy :

Ok if it is reading below the 2 then it indicates a problem with the main control board ("Reads around 1500 Ohms. Defective control board"). Please see test #9 on page 64 for this information.

The Home Smithy :

Would you like a link to purchase the new board on line?

Customer :

what do I do about a defective control board?

Customer :

yes please. Do you have any idea how much they cost and can I install it myself?

The Home Smithy :

The manual has the repair information in it. One moment please and I will get you the price and ordering information

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to order the new control board. $137.00 plus S&H

Customer :

Thanks

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately replacing the control board did not solve the problem after all. Bought a new one and installed it but still getting the same error message. Please advise.
Ok . Give me some time to look into this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I will wait to hear back from you.
Ok I think that the problem was that you were using an analog meter instead of a digital. Unfortunately you will have to get ahold of a digital meter to get more accurate readings of the PTC.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just bought a digital meter. Give me some time to check the swich again.

Ok I'll be on line most of the morning today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I just conducted test 9 and got a reading of 1876 on the digital meter.

Ok lets back up to the beginning. Run the on board diagnostics again and see if you still get the same error codes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already did that and got an error code of E41

Hmmmmm. It has to be the PTC then. What I cant figure out is why you are getting a good reading from it. Are you testing it with the wires connected? If so please unhook them and see if you get an open or shorted reading from the PTC.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am testing them with the wires unconnected from the unit. Not sure what you mean by an "open or shorted" reading.

Your meter will read zero in either case.

I'm going to have a fellow expert review this question and see if he may have any input. He is presently working but is on line between customers. It may take a while before he gets back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be here until 11:30 and then stepping out until 1:30.

Ok I'll let you know ASAP what they say.

Ok on page 50 is a magnetic reed switch assembly that you need to check. It may be preventing the unit from operating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found the instructions on page 50. Do I test it with the digital meter?

Just make sure that the magnet is still in place. The reed switch can be tested by doing a continuity test with your multimeter. It should read zero both with the drawer open and closed.

FYI: Both of the other experts that I had review the question thread agree that if the magnet and reed switch are working properly that the door lock is bad even though it reads good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will have to work on this later today. I have an appt and will not be back until around 3pm. I will get back to you then. Thanks

Ok I will be sure to check back after I finish work today. Not sure exactly when I will be done. Probably around 4 - 5pm PST.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked for the reed switch according to the diagram and there does not seem to be one. Then I looked at something that came with the new control board which says "testing has shown that the reed switch is not needed on front load washers. If the washer has a reed switch, disconnect it from the old board and discard. Opening the drawer will no longer disrupt the cycle of the washer.

Is it possible that there is in fact no reed switch on my machine?

Absolutly, yes. Only older models had the reed switch. If yours does not have one then replace the door lock.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I will give it a try. I assume that I can find the instructions on removal of the door lock in the manual. This time I am going to try to order it from a place that will allow me to return it if it is not right. Thanks.
Yes the instructions are the same as when you accessed the PTC (same thing).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the "door strike" the same as the "door lock"?

Page 69 lower right hand picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Page 69 lower right hand picture.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. wish me luck.
You got it!! =)