Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

I have a kitchen aid stove model #KGST307HWH4 bought about

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid stove model #KGST307HWH4 bought about 10 years ago. The oven and broiler don't work but the stove top does. I checked the voltage on both ignitor lines coming out of the valve and regulator assembly that is reachable from below. They both read 0. I then read that the cut-out thermal and thermostat could be the problem so I ohm tested them. i'm not sure if i have them right but the one on my right as I face the stove reads 127.7 and the left reads from 0-.3. Should i just replace the one that reads 0? I have no idea what the ohm numbers mean. Thanks for any info.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name is Randy and I am here to assist you. Just so I am clear. You have no power going to the ignitors? I am sending you a diagram and the ignitors are #6 on the diagram. Let me know if that is what you mean by igniter.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
number 6 in the diagram. one goes to the broiler and the other to the oven.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my reply went to all experts but i want to stick with you. can i get off their list. my answer to your request was #6 in the diagram
Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.
Hello, sorry about the delay. The power to the ignitors comes directly from the control board when you select either bake or broil. You should get 120vac to the respective igniter when you select bake or broil. As far as the thermostat, I am sure you are talking about the sensor that goes in to the back of the oven that senses the temperature. The reading for that is correct. The thermal fuse should read 0 ohms when it is good. In a nutshell both of them are good and the control board is bad if there is no power to the ignitors. Replace the control board and you will be good to go. Thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just to clerify. I took the control panel off and checked the respective sensors under it. The one on the left read 0 and the one on the right read 127.7 ohms. the parts look like little hockey pucks with two wires coming out of each of them I'll accept after this thanks for your help

Expert:  Randy replied 3 years ago.

The one on the left is a thermal fuse that should read 0 ohms and the one on the right is reading correctly also. The way they work is they keep a check on the temperature of your stove. If it gets to hot the thermostat will open up and cause the stove to shut off until it cool down to a safe level. Now for safety reason they put in a thermal fuse just in case the thermostat fails. If it fails then the thermal fuse will open up and blow like a regular fuse. You will lose power to the stove and they only way to fix it is to replace both those parts. Now since they read what they do they are working correctly and again your problem is the control board which is #2 on the diagram I am sending you. Hope this explains it better and I am here for further assistance. Thank you, Randy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kitchenaid-Parts/Range-Parts/Model-KGST307HWH4/0593/0124250/O2030073/00003