Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My Amana fridge is not cooling and frost is starting to build

Customer Question

My Amana fridge is not cooling and frost is starting to build up in the bottom freezer. What can we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to take so long to reply - had to get to bed before it came through. The model number is XXXXX Thanks for your help!!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. I was in the bed. Give me just a few minutes to look at the diagrams for that model.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The first thing to do is to look in the fresh food section where the lights are. See if there is an access hole to turn the part arrowed in the diagram below. There may be a dime size cover that you can remove and turn that part clock wise with a flat tip screw driver. If there is no hole unplug the unit before taking it apart to be safe. Then turn the part until you hear a louder click than all the other clicks. Then plug in the refrigerator.

You will need to turn that until the refrigerator shuts off. Close the doors. Around behind the refrigerator, remove the lower panel and under the freezer you will see a tube coming from the floor about a half inch in diameter. That is the drain tube. Does water start dripping out of the drain tube?

Once you have waited 10 minutes to see if the water drips or not you can then defrost the freezer. You can remove the inside rear panel and defrost the coils with a hair dryer or you can unplug the refrigerator for about 8 hours and defrost that way.

Let me know what you find so I can tell you which part to get and a part number.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have printed the diagram so my husband has it handy for reference - will let you know what he finds as soon as possible.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are fine, I expect to be gone for about an hour tonight but that will be it for the weekend. I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just a progress report, Barry. When Bob (husband) removed the inside back panel of the freezer, he found a solid coating of ice and is in the process of defrosting this. We thought we had melted all the ice a few weeks ago when we cleaned the bottom and rear coils, but guess we were wrong. Could this be the cause of our non-functioning fridge??

Paula

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Paula, yes this is why its not cooling if the freezer fan operates. Did he happen to find the part I have arrowed in the diagram yet? If not tell him to keep defrosting. I am sorry I did not know you posted, my wife just pulled up and I was unloading the truck. Had I known I would have waited.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No apologies necessary. Bob's still defrosting and is not quite sure about the part you have arrowed in the diagram. Is there any way of explaining it's position a bit more clearly or perhaps giving a description of it? We do appreciate your patience.

Paula

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Its in the top front on the ceiling of the fresh food section. I have a manual somewhere I will get the page out of it that tells how to get that disassembled in case there is no access hole and upload that here. Tell him to turn the unit on when he is done but leave it so he can get at those coils he is defrosting.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have moved all the food from the fridge to an old one we were storing (unused) in the garage so will leave this one turned off till Bob's finished with the defrosting. I hope you haven't sent the manual page yet because after reading your last message, he thinks he knows what you meant and did get that part disassembled. Will let you know what happens after the frost is gone and we try to turn on the freezer and fridge - or is there something else we should look for before doing so?

Paula

p.s. Hope you got your truck unloaded between answering all my questions.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Oh yea, I got it alright LOL.

Well nothing special until the freezer gets cold. Just located the part and make sure its not a circuit board.

Once the freezer is cold he can turn that part clockwise until the refrigerator shuts off, very carefully put your hand near the bottom of the freezer coils that are being defrosted and see if the heater comes on. That heater will burn you in an instant so do not touch it, its like a small oven element. Then let me know.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I have to head out for about 30 minutes. It is now 4:15 eastern time. I will be back by 4:45.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It works!! Bob just turned off the fridge and within 30 seconds (?) we heard sizzling and the coils started dripping so guess the heater is working after all. So now what - does he just turn it back on? But why did this ice build up like that in the first place? Admittedly when the coils at the bottom of the fridge behind the toe grille were exposed the first time there was a lot of dog hair sitting there. (We have a constantly - shedding black lab in the house.) We bought this fridge 3 or 4 years ago from our kids and didn't get a manual with it so hadn't realized this grille even came off. Will more vigilant cleaning do the trick?

Paula

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There are 2 reasons why, and yes thats good the heater is working. Have you at anytime seen snow on the top of the freezer food?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I have occasionally seen snow on food that has been left for a while.

Paula

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
If you have seen snow on the freezer food its very possible you do not need a part. Just close the door,
However if this happens again and you are sure the door is closing you will need to replace the part that was turned. Thats a timer. What that timer does is count 8 hours and defrost.

What may be happening and I asked because it is a bottom freezer is the door being left open. The clue is snow on the food in the freezer. Just so you know.

If you find your unit is warming look in the freezer, if the back wall is frosted its not defrosting. If there is snow on the food the door was left open. In both cases the coils will need to be defrosted to get it to cool. To replace the timer there are no special instructions, just change it. I do recommend you do not order this part online. A lot of times you will not get an exact replacement but a substitute. Believe me it will be a headache saved if you can possibly take it to a local applaince parts dealer.

Please ask if you have questions. If not you folks have a really nice 4TH and take care.

Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you have been most helpful.

Also thanks for the good wishes, but since we're in Canada, Bob said to let you know he already has celebrated July 1st with his head in the freezer. But hope you have a great 4th yourselves.

Bob and Paula

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Smile I did'nt know you were in Canada. I used to live in St, Jerome or I would have taken it easy on him. Thank you for the opportunity, thank you very much.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bob and Paula

Barry, I meant to add a comment and a tip but can't seem to get back to that page - HELP!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Its fine, return someday when you need help, I really am serious I was glad you offered the opportunity, very nice of you Thank you.

Have you folks ever been St Jerome?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I'm afraid we've never been east of Ontario (we're in Saskatoon, Sk.), but seeing the eastern part of Canada is on our "bucket list".

You are the best and thanks again for your expert help. Smile

Bob and Paula

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome again,,,if you folks decide to go out there, let me tell you a secret.

Learn your numbers in french 1, 2 and 3. That way you will not go hungry. You can drive right to a Burger King and get exactly what you want. Surprised

Take care Bob and Paula,
Barry and Linda
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Barry, for the offer but I really don't have any other questions at the moment. The fridge is working well (so far) - if it suddenly blows up you'll be the first to know. :)
I'm practicing my French counting, just in case......

Paula
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Great I am glad its working for you. You folks enjoy the weekend!

Take care,
Barry