Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I just bought an 8 year Whirlpool dryer, Model #LGR7648KQ1.

I just bought an 8 year Whirlpool dryer, Model #LGR7648KQ1. We have a gas water heater but our old dryer, we just got rid of, wasn't hooked up to gas, we plugged it in. I plugged this Whirlpool in (not hooked up to gas) and it's not getting hot. Does it have to be hooked to gas to work properly?
Hi..Bob Here ...Welcome to Just Answer...The new used dryer is electric..Not gas correct..?..Has a big fat plug..Not the same as say a hairdryer or a coffee pot..?
hi do you have 220 at the outlet have the breakers been checked
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This one does not have the big fat plug like the old one, just a regular 3 prong plug.
hi is this just a regular skinny 3 prong plug like this Main Product View
Ok Thanks Esequiel...If it is a small three prong cord then yours is a gas dryer also..The dryer will not heat unless you have gas..It should how ever run..Just by plugging it in..
Notice the plug on the front bottom left of panel..#39..If yours has that plug then yes it is gas.You need to have a gas line to connect to the gas supply of your home to be able to get the dryer to heat..No other way..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is involved with hooking it up to a gas line? So my old one was not gas? Will someone need to come hook it up and what would the cost be?
Not sure about that as i have no idea of what your setup is there..If all you had to do is plug it in..Then yes it was electric..If it was electric..You will see a much bigger outlet(place where you plug it in) in the area of where the old dryer was located...In order to use the existing gas dryer..You would need to connect the dryer to a gas supply..All you have to do is call the local gas company..They will come out and tell you what you need..Most of the time at no charge....Also once you use the accept option today make sure you accept on my reply to you ..If you have any more questions i will be standing by..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since we have a gas water heater close to the dryer, hopefully, it won't be too much of a problem to get it hooked up. Guess I better check more thoroughly before buying next time. I bought if from a woman I work with. Thank you for your help. I am replying to you with this post and then when you answer back I hit he green "Accept Answer" button? Thanks again.
Yes it should not be that big of a problem..Take a close look at the area where the dryer is..Allot of times there is a gas supply and a electric box to run a electric dryer..Just depends upon how the home was built..In any case the gas company will be really helpful..They do not want to see you start your house on fire Etc....Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair