gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

I have an Amana electric dryer model no. ALE866SBW that has

I have an Amana electric dryer model no. ALE866SBW that has started to make a loud hum to almost a buzzing noise. The noise does not happen when running the dryer in the no heat cycle. It almost sounds like small bits bouncing in a fan when it starts to occur. I replaced the drum support rollers thinking they were the problem but it did not go away. Could it be the heating element starting to go bad? It only seems to occur after a cycle requiring heat has run for maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

gst85 :

hi does it make the noise right away?

Customer:

No it takes 10 minutes or so, and the sound starts low and gets louder

gst85 :

ok there is a felt that goes around the drum if it is worn out it will make a griding sound

Customer:

The sound does not happen after running for a long time in no heat cycle, plus the felt looks pretty good shape.

gst85 :

could be the element going out

gst85 :

does not happen during no heat correct?

Customer:

correct

gst85 :

that may be the heater

gst85 :

id replace it

Customer:

I think the heater is behind the rear bulkhead. Is there much to changing it out for a new one?

gst85 :

you need to remove the drum are you pretty handy .

Customer:

Yes, I already had the drum out once to replace drum support rollers. Its pretty easy.

gst85 :

ok great then it seems that you know what your doing lol

gst85 :

it is not to difficult

gst85 :

give it a try

Customer:

Well I am only guessing. The difficulty is not knowing the correct steps to the tear down.

gst85 :

perhaps a diagram may help you get thru the process

Customer:

Yes it would. I saw an exploded view on another website, but it does not indicate how to proceed with removing the rear bulkhead.

gst85 :

sure .,www.sears parts direct.com /you can also order it thru them as well or www.repair clinic.com.good luck to you .pressing accept will pay me for my time.

Customer:

Okay thanks.

gst85 :

your welcome