Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

hi, i have a LG front loading washer, model wm2010cw. it stopped

hi, i have a LG front loading washer, model wm2010cw. it stopped running after my wife washed some rugs on the fast spin cycle and it walked across the laundry room. before she could turn it off she said she saw a "spark" out the side. i have checked the outlet and there is power. I took the covers off and traced the 120AC, through the filter and back to the input of the control board. I took the back cover off and spun the motor; when doing so, it generated enough current to turn it on temporarily and make the front panel light up and beep like it was on, but after the motor slowed down it turned back off. one of the top extension spring retainers popped and i pressed it back in. i can find any spots that look like they caused a spark and mechanically it looks fine. based on a previous entry from this site, i think it is a control board, but i want to be sure before spending the money on the part. can you help me out?

Thanks, Roy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

You need to find the burn mark, I know that is sucky information, but honestly if there was a spark you need to look till you see it

Repairman1981 :

if there was a spark you either shorted a wire to ground, or you have a motor that failed or something

Repairman1981 :

If it won't light up without spinning it you will need a board for sure

Repairman1981 :

But if there is a shorted motor or something you could put the new board on and blow it right away

Repairman1981 :

That gets real expensive real quick

Repairman1981 :

I would take the time to look for the burn mark before you consider buying any parts. That being said

Repairman1981 :

This could be the end of the road for you as well.

Repairman1981 :

if it's in the stator and blew the board your looking at 4-500 in parts

Repairman1981 :

SO .... do the looking before you consider buying any parts.

Repairman1981 :

Thanksd!

Customer:

thanks for the response. if the stator had a problem, is there anyway to ohm it out? the washer comes with a 10year waranty over the motor, would it still be covered?

Customer:

so if i find the burn mark and it is to the chassis ground, then it is likely not the motor, correct?

Repairman1981 :

yes

Repairman1981 :

You remove it, and there are 3 wires, any 2 should be the same resistance as the other 3

Repairman1981 :

There will be a VISIBLE burn mark if it was where the spark came from though

Customer:

i can just ohm out the the motor power connector at the board. there is a scematic i should be able to find it

Repairman1981 :

yes you could do that also, I would challenge you to remove the stator and look for burn marks for starters

Customer:

that is the hex bolt on the back of the motor? is that all i need to take apart?

Repairman1981 :

yep, and just wedge a screwdriver in it to keep it from rotating ot have someone hold the inner tub

Repairman1981 :

then be sure to torque it down if that wasn't the issue

Repairman1981 :

If you see water from the tub seal

Repairman1981 :

Your done

Repairman1981 :

That would be the most likely cause if the motor was the spark

Customer:

that makes sense. if the stator is fried, then is that something covered under the waranty? and would i have to have a service call by a lisenced tech to handle it from there?

Repairman1981 :

yes

Customer:

i read that the waranty is 10 years on the motor, but there might be fine print.

Repairman1981 :

However

Repairman1981 :

The tub seal isn't, and you need an outer tub to fix that

Repairman1981 :

WAY more than fixing is worth

Customer:

so, if i see water in the motor. it is time for a new machine? yikes

Repairman1981 :

but if it just went bad you chould be ok

Repairman1981 :

just depends

Repairman1981 :

yep

Repairman1981 :

It means the tub seal leaked

Repairman1981 :

no point hiring a tech, if the motor just went then call for service and they will cover the parts

Customer:

if there is water the tub seal is likely ripped and that is not something i would even want to consider doing myself?

Repairman1981 :

well you could but the part is 475

Repairman1981 :

So, your looking at 550 or so with shipping and I wouldn'

Repairman1981 :

't put that on an LG

Repairman1981 :

If you really like it you can it's actually not that hard to change just time consuming

Customer:

wow. okay. thanks for that.

Repairman1981 :

but maybe there is no water and it's just shorted

Repairman1981 :

That is very possible

Repairman1981 :

It's honestly just a coin flip as to what caused it

Repairman1981 :

I have seen it all

Repairman1981 :

you never know till you open it

Repairman1981 :

You have to get in there and see what shorted to know if it's worth fixing

Customer:

alright. thanks for the help. am i on my own from here, or will you be available if i need anything else?

Repairman1981 :

you can return here anytime out to about 6 months, no additional charges AS LONG AS YOU RETURN TO THIS QUESTION AND DO NOT ASK AN ADDITIONA L QUESTION

Customer:

fair enough. i just hit accept and you get paid?

Repairman1981 :

yep, please remember to leave feedback and have a great rest of the evening

Customer:

thanks for your help. cool service. all the best to you.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands