Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Hello, i have a GE refrigerator model # XXXXX from 2005.

Customer Question

Hello, i have a GE refrigerator model # XXXXX from 2005. I noticed the water despenser began to slow down, then would only work periodicly, then not at all... (ice despenser too). i looked online and another technician said it was most likely the motherboard that was the problem, so i replaced it with a new one, GE#153075. everything was working great yesterday, now the water is begining to slow just like it was before replacing the motherboard, what could be causing this? the door swith seems to be working fine it turns on right away, then slows... Is there possibly a water solinoid problem? The water filter is good. Please help, i dont know what else to look at!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

If you remove the kick panel or the top freezer door hinge cover you will find a connector. That is the only connector between your freezer door controls and the main control board. Unplug the refrigerator and take that connector apart, look for broken wires going into the connector and pins that are not fully inserted. Clean it up really well and put it back together.

Did that get it working for you?Just let me know that may not be the problem.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed the kick panel and found the wires but everything looks intact, pulled the conector apart and wiggle conector and wires while trying the water, it still slows down after a few seconds

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried removing the water line from the rear of the refrigerator and running it in a bucket? If not give that a shot and see how the water flow is.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to mention that at the same time the water slows down the light on the dispenser dims.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes that makes a difference. And you replaced the main control board in the rear of the refrigerator?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes! from what i read that sounded like the problem, but after 2 days it's starting to do it again...
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thats all there is. That connector and the board. If the ice dispenses ok and the light stays lit the same it has to be one of the 2. I have never seen the dispenser board cause that problem. I have a wiring diagram let me look at it just a bit, I don't think I am missing anything but I want to look.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Unplug the frigde.

Take a look up from the floor at the bottom of the dispenser panel where you change from ice to water. If yours has 2 holes like the ones that are arrowed take something small and push in one hole to the left and pull out on that lower corner. Then go all the way across to the other side and do the same. That will release the panel in your hand. See if you can find a loose wire on that panel.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No loose wires behind the panel, I tried unhooking the water supply but i am getting plenty of water to the fridge so thats not a problem. is there an inlet screen before the filter somewhere? now that i mess with it, the water still slows but the lights not diming anymore

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
What I was thinking is that you have a partially blocked line originally. What will happen is pressure will build to normal pressure and that will have some volume because of the water tank in the fridge. After a bit the pressure drops because you have more water going out than is coming in when you engage the dispenser. The way to find out is disconnect the line from the water valve and run some in a bucket totally seperated from the fridge but through the line that does connect to the fridge.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my water line on the back of the fridge has a coupler to another line that runs thru the wall out to a valve in the garage. i turned the valve off and disconected the two lines at the coupler, when i turn the valve on i get plenty of water from the house side. is there a way to disonect the hose on the back of the fridge where it goes into the bottom

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes there is a nutted connector where the arrow is in the picture. That part is on the bottom left rear of the fridge.

Barry
CLICK TO ENARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so i took the line off where you said and it seems like there is alot less volume coming from the hose at that point. i also hear some what of a hissing sound like restricted coming from around the filter inside the fridge. seems like the blockage is in part of the filter housing.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There is a small valve where the filter pushes up against it. You might get a big bowl and see if there is something you may be able to get out of that valve, arrowed below. You will need to push that to get water.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i open that valve with the filter off? just push?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes I editted that in up there but you saw it before I was finished. Sorry about that. Yes you can push it with something.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
If you have not already, save this page to your favorites so you can return to this thread.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so i pushed that little valve and got lots of flow but now it doesnt seal, keeps spraying i tried pushing it more and i get lots of water but the valve doesnt want to seat(probably crud) how do i take that off to clean it and or replace it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I have never taken one apart. I am sorry I could not even begin to tell you how. There are a few screws that attach that to the wall, the plastic piece on the front pops off.

I can give you the part number. WR17X11618 that is the factory part number. You can shop anywhere with that number. One place that has that online is LOCATED HERE.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hang on a second I am getting the diagram of it for you.
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The green arrowed part snaps off and the red arrowed part has screws that screw it to the back wall. I thought you meant take that assembly apart.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic