Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side refrigerator. GD5DHAXVA07.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side refrigerator. GD5DHAXVA07. I bought it one year ago. It has been making a horrible high pitch sound when the compressor runs. Very high pitch, causes headaches. I called Whirlpool to report this issue and a dishwasher issue at the same time. They sent a tech to fix the dishwasher but he said there was nothing in his paperwork regarding the refrigerator. I had a business trip to go to then vacation after that. Now that I'm back home and settled in after a couple of weeks, I called Whirlpool again. They told me they have no record of my call on the refrigerator and the one year warranty expired 3 days ago. I have found where other people have complained of the same problem, but there is no recall that Whirlpool has placed on this refrigerator. Can something be done about the high pitch sound??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There definitely isn't any recalls on this model but you'll need to know where the noise is coming from in order to be certain what the noise is. Do you have any idea if the noise is coming from inside the freezer or behind the entire unit or??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's hard to tell. I hear it standing in front of the fridge. when I open the doors, its running, so the high pitch sound gets drowned out by the blower?? I am on the other side of the kitchen and I can hear it pretty loud. It's like the further away you get from it, it becomes the loudest sound. The fridge is running when it does it, which is the normal deeper pitch sound.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
That sounds like that is just your compressor running, there really isn't much you can do but try to get the compressor replaced, but that is about $550 and some compressors are louder than others so the noise may not even go down. Without being there and hearing it, I couldn't say if it's withing range and it's normal or not.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I cover the compressor with styrofoam or something to mute the sound? I really hate to pay to have the compressor replaced and it do the same thing. An old refrigerator I've had in the past had styrofoam around a piece inside the fridge.. may have been the compressor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
You can't cover the compressor because it will overheat the compressor, that compressor has a fan next to it to cool down all the time. There realy isn't anything you can do to limit the sound other than replace the part.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That really sucks. Especially considering that I called this in to Whirlpool back in May and they failed to send someone out to fix it. I even told them I was going out of town and would need them out asap. It's almost as if they knew my warranty was about to expire and they delayed the process to avoid working on it. Damn! Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I'm really sorry about that.