Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag 4000 series, front load washing machine. The

Customer Question

I have a Maytag 4000 series, front load washing machine. The display says "SuD." What does that mean? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

SuD means the washer thinks there is water or suds in the washer still.

IF there is water in the tub:

There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

IF there is NOT water in the tub:

You'll need to manually open the door first, then replace the pressure switch under the top panel mounted to the right side wall to get rid of the error. To unlock the door, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

To access the pressure switch, pull the washer forward and remove the 2 or 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. The pressure switch is mounted to the right side wall above the tub and is the only part with several wires going to it as well as a small rubber hose.