The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Whirlpool Cabrio washer will not start. The lid will not lock

Whirlpool Cabrio washer will not start. The lid will not lock & it just makes humming noise. No codes & the display is normal with time counting & other settings. Please advise on what to do or check. Thank you so much.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

I will need the model number of your unit to look this up for you.
Please click here for help locating the model number.
Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-to0l4crg- :

Whirlpool Cabrio top load washer. Model # XXXXX Type: 580

JACUSTOMER-to0l4crg- :

I need this answer soon because I have a lot to do. You are showing offline so I may need to ask another person.

JACUSTOMER-to0l4crg- :

I will just call local repair man & use the $30 toward the service call. Thank you for trying to help.

The Home Smithy :

Sorry. Had a small emergency I had to attend to. Wife ran out of gas in the middle of an intersection. Please let me know if you wish to continue.

Customer:

I would like to. I understand emergency with the wife & kids. My wife is driving me nuts over this now.

The Home Smithy :

Yea. All I have to do is teach my wife that the car runs a lot better off the top of the tank than it does from the bottom.

The Home Smithy :

Sounds like the door lock mechanism has failed. To confirm this you will need to do some diagnostics. Please stand by and I will upload a service manual for you to work from.

Customer:

Mine also & Im a master technician with toyota but she doesnt understand cars. turn key and drive thats it

The Home Smithy :

Mine TOO!! Go figure lol! be a couple minuets to do the upload.

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

lol

Customer:

I pulled lock out & it showed lock on display but still just kept humming like pump wasnt allowing water to come in but i know it runs at high rpm & if door not shut & locked it will not function

The Home Smithy :

Ok it is a large file and will take about 6 minuets to upload.

The Home Smithy :

Is any water entering the unit?

Customer:

No none at all. Like I said it lets you set the time & load settings then when you hit start the lid should lock then the water enters. All is working until you hit start then the timer counts down but the lid doesnt show lock & it hums. If you try to pause or cancel it just beeps at you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok it does sound like a bad door lock. If the lock doesnt send the correct signal to the control board it will not allow water to enter the unit.
Please click here to download the manual. It doesnt say it is for your unit specificly but it should be the same mechanicly. Page 5-5 covers the door lock switch testing.

Customer:

ok ill download it & take a look at it.

The Home Smithy :

You can get parts on line from http://appliancezone.com They have a chat feature at the top left of the page. Just provide the operator with the model number and they will look up the parts for you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok, great! Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be going off line here in about 30 minuets but will check back throughout the day on my laptop.

The Home Smithy :

Did you know that you can apply to be a justanswer expert? I'm sure that we could use a good Toyota tech in the Toyota catagory. If you are interested please provide an e-mail address and I will send you an invitation to apply.

Customer:

I will keep it open until we figure this out. I thank you for your help. Download complete & I will Let you know what happens.I may do that. Good on vehicles not on washers... lol But I can fix it if I have the book which now I have

The Home Smithy :

I'm the same with cars and trucks. Just give me a decent manual and Ill go from there.

Customer:

Amen to that. We will either fix it or tear it up.... lol Enjoy your time away & ill let you know what I find in a bit & thanks again

The Home Smithy :

Eh... Gotta go help a friend install a water heater. But its in a new bar here in town so the benifits are there (liquid like, lol!). Ill check back with you in a bit.

Customer:

Ok have fun

The Home Smithy :

I will. Good luck with the washer. =)

Customer:

Ill need it lmao

The Home Smithy :

Naw. I got faith in mechanics. !!

Customer:

Still working on it. I got lock to work. For some reason there is water in the bottom of washer. None in actual tub but when i move washer i hear water moving around in bottom of tank. Going to go through the diagnostic mode that it features & see what that turns up. I know you had to go but Im just going to let you know what Im doing step by step. If the drain pump has quit working could this cause the issue also since it still has water in it ?

The Home Smithy :

Yes it can. If the water level sensor does not see that the water has all been emptied from the unit then it can lock it out from going into the next wash cycle. These units do have a little bit of water that remains in them after eack load though. It shouldnt be too much. About a half gallon if that.

Customer:

When I move the tub around is when I hear the water splashing around. Would that be more than normal ? I thought it seemed to be to much water & now looking for a way to get it out or find that water level sensor.

Customer:

My wife said it worked fine on the load before & showed cycle was complete but when she put next load in it started this crap. Im thinking now all the water is not out for that next cycle to start. Going back to basement & try to figure that part out.

The Home Smithy :

Ok try this. Lay the drain hose down lower than the wash tub. Any excess water will gravity drain out the hose. I use an automotive oil drain pan to do this. anything else id usually too high.

The Home Smithy :

There is a section on the water level pressure switch in the manual. I dont have a copy of it on my laptop.

Customer:

Ok I will try that. I dont want to keep you all day on this so I will let you go. I thank you for your help. I may take you up on the toyota part to help people out with them.

The Home Smithy :

Dont worry about keeping me. I'll be on and off for the rest of the afternoon.

Customer:

Well I appreciate the hell out of that. Ill just keep it on awhile longer then.

The Home Smithy :

Not a problem keep \it open till you resolve the problem.

Customer:

Thanks & Ill let you know soon. Heading down for round 3. lol

The Home Smithy :

LOL!! Good luck!

Customer:

Ok drained the water out of the tank & now working as designed. Letting it go through a light wash cycle to see if the drain pump is working. If it is working then it should be the water level sensor faulty then. It takes around 35 minutes to run the cycle & then I will let you know which one it is.

Customer:

So do you all make extra money just doing this on the side or is it a full time job ? I would only be able to answer questions in the evening & all day Sunday ?

Customer:

Well it filled up & went through the wash cycle but when it came time to spind which Im guessing water should drain out at that time the timer just quit at 24 minutes left. The tub still has water in it & it seems to me that the drain pump is not functioning. I will bring my ohm meter home tomorrow from work & check the circuit & the pump. Being that it worked after I drained the water Id say the level sensor is ok. Just give me your final thoughts on it. I thank you again for all your help today & all the information you gave me. Also let me know how the Just Answer works other than I know to answer & help people.... lol

The Home Smithy :

Ok check that the coin trap is clear. It should be behind the front lower cover of the unit (if it has one. I think it does) If it is clear then check the pump tomorrow.
I actually make a living doing this. I was a construction forman and then everything went to hell and JA took off. You can do it anytime you like. there are no set hours or times that you have to be on line. For you it would be some good spare change. There is a considerable amount of competition for the questions most times, but you can still make a few bucks at it. Many of the mechanics do it only part time but there are some that do it for a living like I do.

The Home Smithy :

Sorry the coin trap is obvious once you get the front cover off. A plugged coin trap usually sets a LD (long drain) error code so that probably isnt the problem.

The Home Smithy :

Well we got the water heater in and discovered a leak in the plumbing that someone else did.........Oh well time for a cold one. =)

The Home Smithy :

Ill check back when I get home.

Customer:

Trap is clear. I will check pump tomorrow. Thank you again for all your help today. My E-mail address is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX to send the info on Just Answer application & if you have any other tips. Thank you so much again & have a very good evening. I also will click on "accept" because it was worth it. Thank you !!!!

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances