S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Maytag Gas slide in range Mod # XXXXX that I

I have a Maytag Gas slide in range Mod # XXXXX that I bought in 2002. I am attempting to replace the spark module, because there is no clicking spark from any of the four top burner igniters, they all won't click. My question is I have located the spark module under the cook top, but I don't know how to remove the cook top so I can get to the spark module. I tried turning the burners to the left but they won't budge. There is a sticker on the side of the range that warns me not to remove the cook top. What can I do?

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. you need to remove those burners first. the burners turn about a 1/4 turn to the left. they can be tight. they will then lift off. under them is a Philips screw. remove the wires and the 4 screws. then the top will lift off

Customer:

I believe they are stuck there may be spilled food under them. What can I use to loosen them with, ie WD40 or oven cleaner?

S.E.Thomas :

you could try some wd-40 but it is almost impossible to get it into where these get gulled. they madea tool to remove these but i dont know if it is still available. i have laid a towel over them a tapped them with a hammer lightly to free them. you must be careful to not chip the porcelain.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear SE,
I removed the burners and the screws below them like said and the cook top still will not lift off. What next?