Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Barry, can you please confirm if the CONTROL BOARD part#12920710

Barry, can you please confirm if the CONTROL BOARD "part#12920710" is the actual problem for MAYTAG refrigerator model#MFI2568AES(French door w/freezer at bottom and external dispencer). Midway parts, on your recommendation, is saying its probably the HIGH VOLTAGE BOARD because the CONTROL BOARD doesn't go bad in most cases.

The following problems:

Flashing Lights
Ice dispencer constantly opening & shutting
No cooling system for "Top" part only of the refrigerator (Freezer works and Top & BotXXXXX XXXXXghts) THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, there are 2 boards for that refrigerator. One is in the dispenser, you do not need and the other is in fact part# XXXXX which is the part you need and that is the high voltage board.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Therefore, the "Control Board" and the "High Voltage Board" is one of the same. Ok, I can only use terms that have been mentioned to me. Thank you for clarifying that since I didn't want to order the wrong part.

P.S. Midway, under MAYTAG link does have a control board link that is not the High Voltage Board and that's where the confusion came in at for them and me when ordering.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry, sometimes I forget that people do not do everyday what we do here. And I try to work at being clear just for that reason.

The dispenser board has the digits on it, thats the easiest way to tell. And that is the low voltage board. And it is where you change temperatures so it could be considered a control board in a sense. The proper name is XXXXX XXXXX

The one on the back of the refrigerator is high voltage and that is the one you will want to get. 12920710 is that board.

You are very welcome,

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

I will pay the $30.00 again and will continue to use this online service. However, It would have been clearer for me if I knew the difference when I received the originally answer last week because I am currently not working and need to be frugal with funds. I do hope that I can replace this board myself without any danger or complications since the service company is more pay for using their Parts and Labor.

Again, Thank you so much!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

You are not obligated to pay again. I can see you did before. You have 30 days to ask followup questions. The board is not difficult to replace. You remove the old board, there are a few connectors but you can do it. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part and you will be fine. The main thing is not to panic, unplug the refrigerator before you start.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Auh, Thank you so much. I will surely refer this site to everyone I know and mention your name. You are wonderful! I just ordered the part @153.12 + $5.00 and hope to see it in a day or two.

P.S. I feel more confident with your words of encouragement. I have never done this type of work before but I will not panic.

Thanks again!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

You are welcome! You take care and have a great day,

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Barry,

The High Voltage Board came in and I replaced it without any problems. However, after programming per instructions everthing appears to work EXCEPT the folowing:

Icemaker - Will not allow me to select the icecube button and therefore not making ice.

Max Temperature -6 / 33 degrees -Will not hold temperature after approx. 5 min after pressing button.

There were no other instructions pertainning to the icemaker. The water despencer is working. Is the Control Board bad or did I do something wrong?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
How long ago was it that you installed the control board and is the dispenser lock light on ? If so what color is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yesterday I installed it but didn't notice the icemaker not working until this morning. I thought it had to go through a process before making ice. There is no button light on except water and temperature window (green).
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Well it needs to be cold in the freezer to get the ice maker to work, it should be cold by now. Did all of this happen with a power outage? Was that the beginning of the problem?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The lights just started flashing and the water/ice despencer kept opening and shutting. We discovered it the next morning. There was no sign of a power outage however the refrigerator is on its own circut breaker, so maybe. If it needs to be cold, why won't it let me make the selection?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I don't know, you should be able to select anything on the dispenser warm or cold. Unless there is a lock on it or that board is bad too. Its pretty unusual that all of that stopped at once. The ice maker is on its own circuit it should be working but the freezer has to be cold or it will do nothing. Is the freezer cold yet?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I placed my hand inside and the coil was cold but I don't know if desired temperature was reached to make ice. However, I never heard the water run into it. Should I give it another day or so before contacting MIDWAY? I don't know where I could have gone wrong with the instructions since it were pretty clear.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
If the unit has stopped doing what it was doing you have properly installed the board.

The freezer must be cold enough to freeze that will tell the ice maker its time to cycle. It will not cycle at all until its cold first.

I will read up on your model and see if I can possibly figure out what may be wrong with the dispenser. You did the programming from the dispenser is that correct or do you have a seperate control inside the fresh food section that you used?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Programmed from the despencer.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX The reason is that Maytag put several different models in one manual instead of seperating the models to different manuals. I will see if there is something you need to do or missed or if there is another broken part.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much I really appreciate this. I will check back in a little while to review your response just incase you don't hear from me right away. I'm having my shower fixed as well to repair a leaky faucett. Thanks, again!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
No problem. I appreciate the opportunity.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Is your unit cooling in the freezer, no strange sounds such as a click nor a buzz once in a while? And is the freezer completely assembled?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Barry, sorry for the delay. Went to Homedepot for parts.

Yes, the freezer section never went on the blink and makes no sounds at all. However, I tried to press other buttons such as lock/unlock,despencer light and no response as well. It appears the refrigerator is cooling but slowly. I hope there is a fixable problem and the board need not be returned. Per MIDWAY all locations were all sold out except Albany/New York and they only had 2.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. There is not a reset for the dispenser. I think that board is bad as well. As long as the dispenser is not flipping open and closing and doing the blinking it was doing the main board you installed is correct and good.

The dispenser has a low voltage board, what that low voltage board does is switch from ice to water and light the lights in the control. Also in the dispenser are high voltage parts. Those are things like the power coming to the low voltage board. The ice dispenser flap and the water inlet valve. So you really have the operations in that dispenser that are controlled by both boards.

There was no way anyone could have known both boards were bad, even had I been there I would have done exactly what I recommended you do. I cannot conceive of any other tech rationally deciding to replace both boards at once because there just is not a way to know, he would do it out of a guess or a wish to make money.

What I recommend is let your refrigerator get to normal temperatures, give the ice maker some time after that and lets see what its going to do and be sure everything else is going to work as its supposed to work before making a final decision. I believe that the wise thing to do.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I'll check back with you probably on Monday if that's ok and we'll decide then. If it is the Low Voltage board, I hope that's resonable in price and something I can do myself as well. Thank you again so much! You have really helped. I feel as if I have someone that cares. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and try not to work to hard.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Well you did'nt miss it. I do care. Its important to me to do right first, and always has been that way with me because thats the way my family raised me. Now on top of that I am out here for the whole wide world to see, so if I care I better do good. Thank you for the compliment.

Monday will be great. I will be here and you have a really nice rest of the weekend too.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Barry,

I'm feeling a little frustrated not knowing the actual problem (3rd week without refrigeration and coming up on holiday). Sunday, except the water button, everything locked up. Today, I am able to make selections but the icemaker still isn't working NOR is the refrigerator reaching desired temperature. I don't know if the back or front board is bad. Could it be in the programming to control the cooling system or maybe a switch that turn off and on. The bottom freezer continues to work. Something happend to make everything go haywire. This is the first problem and what a problem. I know the do it yourself is taking alot of time and your time as well, but I really don't have the money to call inhouse service since I paid them $69.95 to stand in the middle of the floor and say what you said (Need a new HV Control Board). You have been wonderful so this is no reflection on you.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are fine. Before you changed the HV board did the freezer cool with the bad board installed?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the freezer never stopped working nor the internal lights.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
So basically what changed is the dispenser is not going crazy anymore, and you cannot now adjust the temperature.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can now make selections using the front panel and temperature controls. However, the refrigerator does not reach the desired temperature. When opened beverages luke cold outside but taste cool and not cold. There is no cooling coming out of the ice maker from the side vents nor is it making any ice at all.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
What you will need to do is get the ice bin then the ice maker out. I have the instructions below for the ice maker removal.

See if you can locate the damper in the rear of that area. The damper is arrowed in the diagram. That damper may be froze shut. Or stuck. That is where all of the air for the fresh food section comes from, it pulls cold air out of the freezer.

Let me know.
Barry.
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, It's funny that you just said this. I went into the icemaker a little while ago and shut it off thinking that something may have froze. If that's the case, shouldn't it be ready to turn back on in an hour or two? However, if being frozen is not the problem how do I open the damper if it's stuck without damaging it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You should be able to push it open with your fingers. I am thinking its not open because thats where your fresh food section and the ice maker gets the cold air from the freezer. Watch the bottom of the ice maker, there is a heater on the bottom. I do not think it would be hot but lightly touch it before you grab it.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I'll try that and let you know later today or tomorrow to give it some time if freezing was the problem. Thank you so much!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok that would be fine you have a nice evening.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You too Barry and when this is all said and done, I will show my monetary appreciation. Thanks Again!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Barry,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had an emergency.

Last week I unplugged the refrigerator so that I could work on the damper as you suggested. However, during my emergency my son plugged it back up to see if the refrigerator would reset itself. I never looked at the damper because now their is no cooling operating system working including the freezer section. Currently, the refrigertor is running hot while plugged up. Do you think the High Voltage Board installed is bad OR do I need a new Low Voltage Board? Just giving you a heads up for next week. HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
It must be bad as well, very unusual. That does not happen often.
You have a great Holiday TOO!

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry, I just spoke with Midway parts and they suggested that the LV board may be bad and probably not the HV. They suggested sending the LV to me for replacement and see if that works. Therefore, do you have the installation guide for the LV or do I need an expert to replace it? They also said that this is a very unusal situation to have both boards bad at the same time. Knowone could have known this without replacing the HV board first. Barry I hope this fixes the problem, its going on four weeks without refrigeration but I'm strapped for money.

Thank you

Hello Barry,

a)Are you saying that the HV board is bad as well?

b)Can I remove it and reinstall it to see if reprogramming it will work?

Thank you

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You could try reprogramming, it may work. I guess its possible that both boards could go out at the same time, its not common. The dispenser going crazy is a sure sign the high voltage board has gone out. Thats why I suggested replacing that board.

Is anything operating at all in your fridge? Yes those guys at Midway are good folks. Thats why I recommend them, if they can help you they will. Yes somewhere I have a guide for the installation of that board, I think. I will have to locate it.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I really would apprieciate the diagram. Currently, the internal lights work. Midway also suggested that the fan may be a problem since I can't feel any air blowing through the vents. I hope the LV board is somethiing that I can replace myself.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I believe it is something you can do, if I get the proper documents you will be able to do it. I just have to hunt them down, I am sure I have it somewhere. I have a huge pile of them, you would not believe. Be patient, I am sure its here and I will get it up here for you.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Barry, I'll check back later. I have an appointment.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The instructions for the low voltage board removal are below. Be sure to unplug the power cord from the wall outlet before you start.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Barry, I know you wondered what happened. Well, I last wrote about ordering the LV board from Midway and waiting for your blueprint. However, Midway called days later and couldn't locate a LV board and had no shipment date. Feeling frustrated I called in a service company to help expedite the process. The technician arrived a week later and said it appears the LV board, Bottom Fan and Relay Switch/Plug needs replacing. Therefore, he replaced the burned out relay that protects the compressor and ordered the LV board and Fan. I received the fan 1 week later but continued to wait on the LV board. While waiting, the front panel allowed us to make selections again and the technician cancelled and rescheduled appointments every week until this past Monday 8/1 when I received board. He scheduled today 8/3 and installed the Bottom Fan. He suggested not to install the LV board since the panel appears to work now and hopes that the fridge will make it's desired temperature and ice maker will work. He said check the status sometime tomorrow. (2 months without refrigeration) I was going to contact you and show my monitary appreciation after I had resolution to give you just in case you run into this problem again. Currently, awaiting the results from todays service call. Eating out everyday is not good. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Wow, I wonder if lightening hit it? Thats amazing. And no eating out is not good. I used to have to do that everyday when I worked for Mitsubishi.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Soon, I will generate somehow a NEW question by giving you the status so that I can pay the $30.00 fee and leave you a bonus. You have been so helpful in trying to reach a fix with me. I hope the update will help you with future questions from your customers. I'll keep in touch!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Oh I was'nt worried about the money, if you really want to you can let me know and I can send the button here you do not have to start a new thread. I really appreciate the update. Its pretty amazing there was that much wrong with it.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Barry,

Everything looks fine. The Technician came out last week and tested the temperature of both top and bottom freezer. However, he did not replace the LV board due to panel allowing us to make selections. I was waiting a few days to see if anything would go wrong but nothing yet. I even went out and did a little grocery shopping but not much just in case. It feels good to have ice readily available again. When you get the chance, please send the button here so that I can show my appreciation for all your help and concern. I felt like I had support during my time of need. I will most DEFINITELY use this site again and recommend you and it to all my friends and family. I will check back tomorrow (Friday). I hope all is well!

p.s. I placed the refrigerator on a cerge protector this time!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Great idea, that board cannot take a lot of electrical jolts. I am very happy its working for you. I think you might have had more than a little jolt though to tell you the truth.

Yes now you can have ice in the iced tea, thats just great. I am really happy for you. You take care and thank you for using our site. Please return when you need us again.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.