Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My two or three-year old Vinotemp stopped cooling. I can hear

My two or three-year old Vinotemp stopped cooling. I can hear the motor running but there is no cooling. I have tried unplugging the machine for a long time. No improvement. I'm about to get rid of the machine but thought I'd ask if there is anything to try.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Do you hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor? Can you tell if the compressor is running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I hear a motor running but no clicking oranything loud enough to call a buzzing.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a model number for this ? What you hear is the fan running, you will need to check the compressor and feel it if it is not running or vibrating then it's either the compressor itself or the start relay on the compressor has failed, can you do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a VT16TEDSW

Also, I hear a fan running but I don't know that I hear a compressor running. I do know that the temperature inside the cooler goes up if I allow it to run so there's some motor heat going off. Might just be the heat from the fan motor. I'd say that the inside temp goes up eight or nine degrees over twelve hours.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay like I said it's going to be you the compressor itself or the relay, have you pulled this out I'm gathering it's under the countertop,? If you do the compressor will be in the rear bottom, you need to put your hand on it and feel it see if it's vibrating, the problem with these are there hard to get parts for at least for the average tech, the parts lists are not available for it so it's hard for me to show you what the relay looks like, it's definitely the heat from the fan make the temperature rise of the compressor is not running in this, you can eliminate the cold control because the fan is running in the fan will not run of the cold control is bad so it's down to either the relay or the compressor, I don't know which paid for this but if it's the relay and you had somebody come out and replace it you're probably looking at about $130.00 total, if it's the compressor this runs more than a new one,, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.