Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Neptune front loading washer, purchased in

I have a Maytag Neptune front loading washer, purchased in 2002. The fabric softener tray is not emptying with each wash - for approximately the last 20 loads. It appears to be just filling and overflowing, and at the end of each load it is full of water with a bit of fabric softener. The bleach tray ends each load full of water (I don't use this tray for bleach).
Prior to this problem, I had noted a build-up of fabric sofenter on the bottom of the tray, which I would regularly clean out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Model # XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you need to check and make sure the lines to the tub are clear. 16, 17 and 18 on this diagram, these can clog causing the fabric softener not to drain into the tub, this is the most common reason if its getting water to the fabric softener bin. let me know if you have done this already. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just unscrewed and removed the cover, but cannot get deeper into the casing to check the lines. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes you need to remove the screws marked number 16 on this diagram, there are two on the door hinges into on the other side and then pull out on part number 15 at the top and then lift it off the bottom clips and remove that front panel, then you can remove the screws and lift the top, first you need to take the plastic part that's on the top part I believe you said you are be removed the cover take the four screws out of that remove that cover again before lift the top, here is the diagram, what you have that part number 15 off the front skin you will see two screws you need to remove to release clamps that hold the top down, then the top of the machine will just lift right up at the front and leaned back against the wall it has hinges, then you get at the hoses to clean the make sure they're clear all the way to the tub, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

This sounds like it will work - but I think I'd better wait until I have someone to help me lift the top, etc. This is the first time I've used this service - will your answer wait for a few hours until I can work on it this evening with my husband?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely sure, I may be on and off-line during the evening but I will check my messages and watch for your reply thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great! Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
No problem, talk later, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

We've removed the lines and there was no obstruction at all. Is there anything else we can try?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay then the electronic valve that controls the water flow to the fabric softener dispenser part has failed, it sounds like it's not put water into that particular section enough to rinse it down into the tub., I see no other explanation since the lines are clear to the tub, on the diagram I sent you the valve is part number 30 can you tell which valve in the pictures yours looks like? They changed the valves in some of these and you need to know the series of the machine to know which one you need but they do look entirely different can you tell which one in the picture is yours?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hy Bryan,

Unfortunately it does not look exactly like either one, so I suspect we're going to have to call for service. But thanks very much for all of your help. I'll hit the accept answer button as soon as I send this reply.