Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Have a whirlpool duet gas dryer not heating, but running as

Have a whirlpool duet gas dryer not heating, but running as for as the display is on and the drum turns. Model #: GGW9200LW0, S/N: MM3518408, TYPE: BADT-NAT-120600fi-EL22 .

Things I have tested so far:
thermal fuse - OK, both by meter & just connecting the wires
ignitor - test at 72 ohms of resistance
flame sensor - zero ohms of resistance
high-temperature thermostat - zero ohms
thermistor - about 0.5 ohms

Things Replaced:
Gas Valve Solenoid Set

thanks for your assistance, -Shelton
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

so are you saying you get continuity through the flame sensor and the high limit thermostat? does the igniter glow at all? did you test voltage to the igniter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, continuity on both flame sensor & the high limit thermostat are fine.

The igniter DOES NOT glow at all.

I test the igniter with the meter in Ohms mode(72 ohms reading).

Is the voltage test different? If so, explain how to do it? thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes the voltage test is different, you need to unplug the igniter and set you meter on voltage, put one probe in each of the two connectors on the igniter plug and start the dryer, you should get 120 volts to it. if you do then the igniter is bad, if not theres another problem, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tested the plug that connects to the igniter with dryer ON getting zero volts!

However, the igniter itself tests good and looks good, testing with 74 ohms of resistance(swithced back the ohms mode on the meter).

Did I miss something here?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
No you didn't miss anything, sounds like the igniter is good you're just not getting power to it, your absolutely sure you get continuity through the flame sensor correct? I you testing these with the wires attached? It's important you unplug the dryer and test these components with at least one wire disconnected from each component such as the flame sensor or the thermostats because you can get residual feedback from another component saying there is continuity so I suggest possibly retesting these with at least one wire removed from each component, let me know if you have done that already, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday, I tested and retested the flame sensor, high-limit thermostat with both wire unplugged. I physical removed from the dryer the thermal fuse and thermistor, testing their continuity which again tested as stated initially.

Other ideals?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay well you did that right, there are two things that maybe issue in this, one is the control board itself is not sending the power to the igniter or two the motor centrifugal switch is not engaging sending power through to the igniter, these are difficult things to test however when the motor starts there is a centrifugal switch that kicks in and the sends power to the ignition system in the dryer, if this has failed then it's not connecting sending power to igniter, however this is not a real common issue with these, most likely it's in the control board, there are relays on the board which send power to the parts of the dryer once you start it, this should be a wiring diagram in the dryer somewhere possibly up in the control panel or inside the dryer somewhere, this will tell you which wires go to where off the motor and the control board, you need to trace these and see if you can find if it's coming from the control board on the motor that's the issue, these electronic machines can be a real pain in the neck to diagnose, if you can't find the issue will need to call it technician unfortunately, there's only so much I can do online, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

The wiring diagram is under the top one on this diagram.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.