Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello Sir, I purchased the Defrost Board on yesterday; it

Hello Sir,
I purchased the Defrost Board on yesterday; it did not resolve my problem. Do you have any other recommendations? Should the Combination start device/Compressor run capacitor may any sound when you shake it? If not, I think this may be my issue. Please let me known your thoughts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

can you get me the model # ? if the relay is rattling its most likely the issue,I believe this is your relay, if this rattles its bad,you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/2319792/1195945?modelNumber=GD5PHAXMS10 thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Bryan,

My whirlpool model # XXXXX If I shake the Combination start device, should I hear anything?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
not normaly, is the compressor not starting? You have a voltmeter and know how to check voltage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The compressor is not starting. No. I do not have a voltmeter to check the voltage.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay do you hear a buzz or a click coming from the relay when the refrigerator is plugged in about every 3 to 5 min.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. I do not hear any sounds from the refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
not even the fans running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Fan is not running.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, this sounds like a cold control problem to me, even if the relay on the compressor was bad the fans would run if the cold control was good, this is called the temperature control it's the part you turn to turn the refrigerator up in temperature , since you don't have a voltmeter the only way to see if this is bad is to on plugged refrigerator and put the two wires from the cold control together to bypass it and see if the refrigerator starts , do you think you can do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I can try this when i get off work to day.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great I have to work later on this afternoon and probably won't be back until after five sometime Eastern standard time, I will check your reply then, I think this is your issue in the refrigerator starts the fans come on in the compressor starts. Then you need to replace the cold control, you can't leave it jumped out or it will freeze everything, which is keep running and running and running, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Thanks Bryan for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome, talk tonight thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again Bryan.... Your recommendation worked. I purchased a new cold control and it worked.

Have a great Father's day weekend.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Thats great, you have a happy Father's day weekend also, Thanks Bryan