Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool ED25RF side by side refrigerator. Ice machine

I have a Whirlpool ED25RF side by side refrigerator. Ice machine does not make ice, but the mechanism will rotate when the door dispense lever is pushed. Water dispenser does not work. Checked the water line to the frig. The unit is getting water. Ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

ok are you saying this wont make ice and there no water comming out the door? the auger turns though correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay there are a couple of extra numbers you are missing from your model number on the end of it can you check it so I can be sure I'm looking up the right refrigerator? Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ED25RFXW01
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Greatly take a look at your model number and I'll be back shortly, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay couple of things, first off heavy change the filter lately? In the other thing is pull it crisper drawer in your refrigerator section and there will be a tube that they chiller tube that looks like this, take a hairdryer and run warm air over this and periodically check the water in the door see if it comes through, a lot of times these will freeze up and this feeds both the icemaker and the water in the door I believe on your unit, try that and let me know if it works if not we have some more tests we have to do i,get back to me and let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't changed the filter in a long while. I'll try the defrost & let you know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Defrosted the crisper coil. Seems pliable. No indication of ice. The door water dispenser lever makes no noise when pushed. Thought there would be some click or noise to let me know it was cycling. Completely silent.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think so. I'll have to go look for it. Haven't seen it in ages.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No voltmeter
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay well my guess is your water valve has failed,this is extremely common, this is located on the back of the refrigerator where you water line connects from the house, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/4389177/949403?modelNumber=ED25RFXFW01 thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How would I cl with a voltmeter if I had one. Is this user installable.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well you would need to check for voltage to it. You could install this it's not that difficult, there are two plugs and three plastic lines and the main line from the house to connect to it, you just need to shut the water off before you start working on it, to release the plastic hoses pushed the little colored rings in and pull lines out, they come out easy and just answer the new lines into the holes and pull back on it to make sure locks in, you can do it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last question. If this part isn't the problem what's the next most likely thing. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Really since both water supplies are not working, the one to the icemaker in the one to the water in the door that's the only problem it could be, I can't think of anything else that would cause both of them to fail, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.