Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

HI, I just moved into a new house and when hooking up my

HI,

I just moved into a new house and when hooking up my frigidaire washer and dryer, found that the drain hole for the washer is quite small. My drain hose only goes in about a half inch. Although everything is working correctly, I am concerned that the hose might pop out of the hole during the spin cycle as the washer seems to move around quite a bit on the tile floor. So, 2 questions:

1. How can I make the hose/hole connection more secure?
2. Can I lessen the washer's inclination to travel around during the spin cycle?

Thanks!
Kristen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

When you say the drain hole for the washer is quite small do you mean circumference or do you mean the drain is short and you cannot get the hose down far enough in it? Half inch is really not enough to keep this from coming out I understand, you can add a piece to the drain to make it a little bigger they sell them at Lowe's, I'm not sure what size yours is but they have pieces you can get to make this a little bigger and you can make it higher so you're hose will go further in and then take a tie wrap and put around the pipe and the hose to hold them together so it can't popout, as far as the washer moving it sounds like you have to level it, can you get me the model number? I would like to take a look at that, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI Byran,

The circumference of the hole is small, one inch. There was not a hose available with a smaller end to fit in the hole more securely. We looked at Lowe's and asked about this yesterday, no one mentioned adding pipe to the drain hole. How would the pipe attach and be secure? What is a tie wrap? Is that a wire tie or tape or something else?

The model is a frigidaire front loader. It says "easy loading, super capacity, heavy duty, tumble action wash "on the front. No model number or name. It is 6 years old. It sits on top of a drawer which was sold with the unit.

Thanks!
Kristen
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay Kristen, you can get a plastic adapter which will enlarge the hole from 1 inch to at least 1 1/2 inch, which would give you more room to get your hose into, you don't want your hose from the washer to be to tight in the drain because this can cause a siphon effect, which means the water can drain when it's not even in the drain cycle if you get enough back pressure in the hose it will suck it right out of the machine, tell them you need adapter from 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch pipe and a short piece of pipe to extend the drain, I gather this is plastic pipe correct? If so they will give you the glue there are two parts to glue the pipes together, and yes a tie wrap is a wire tie the one you slide it through and pull it tight, just make a U-shaped out of your drain hose and wrap the tie wrap around both the pipe in the drain hose and pull it tight, just make sure you don't crush the hose just do it enough to hold the drain hose in the drain, if this machine is walking you need to adjust the feet at the bottom of the machine to keep it level, a good way to do it is to adjust them well the machine is in the spin cycle, just adjust the feet up or down until it stopped shaking, hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the drain pipe extender designed to go inside the existing drain pipe? The drain pipe top is flush with the mounting it is in so not sure how an extender would attach.

Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
This makes it more difficult that's for sure, since the pipe is flush with its mounting it's difficult to extend it and if you go on the inside of the standpipe the near restricting the flow even more because you would have to have a pipe inside a pipe and then an extension to a wider pipe, I wish I had a simple answer for you my best advice at this point and at this juncture is to have a plumber come out and revise the drain, you don't want to go any smaller or this could back flush and come out the top of the pipe, a 1 inch pipe is too small for the flow, I wish I had better news but that's all I can do, thanks and well wishes, Bryan