Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a Moffat Maitre D gas stove, that I want to use at camp.

I have a Moffat Maitre D gas stove, that I want to use at camp. Only propane is available. The top and oven burners are easily converted, however I need the propane orifices for the pilot light. Can anyone tell how I can get these.
Thanks
Joe Ott
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 5 years ago.

Craig :

You should be able to either go into a plumbers supply house or a good appliance repair shop and buy the pilot jets you need. I'm sure they have someone there that can help you with the right jets for the pilot. Are you in a good size town or city? Have you tied calling yet?

Craig :

Look in your yellow pages for 'plumbers supply' and give that a try first.

Customer:

Actually we live in the boonies, I have gone to a couple of places in Sudbury, but they couldn't help. I looked on line and They have Valve and igniter kits available. That shouldn't be to difficult

Craig :

I do not believe there is a 'pilot orifice' on a gas range to change. It's done in the regulator. Look at the article here:

http://www.premierrange.com/faq-rangeconversion.htm

Customer:

There is on the one I have , got it right here. In this case the pilot light unit has two, one is the actual pilot the other turns on the gas supply. Both orifices have the bigger holes used for Natural Gas and produce a high yellow flame typical of propane coming through a natural gas orifice. I am still thinking that if I can't find the proper orifice, to replace the oven gas valve with a newer type that uses an igniter I did look at the article and the web page, but this Moffat is quite different form anything I saw

Craig :

You really are not supposed to convert some units due to the heat difference. Look at this article

Craig :

Look at this one...

Craig :

That's good info there

Customer: Craig
Craig :

Hey...

Customer: I operate a remote fishing lodge so I am quite familiar with propane conversion. I have never run across an oven that uses two pilot lights. The only solution I see is to convert this control mechanism for a hot surface igniter, which means I would have to replace the oven control valve as well
Craig :

I am just a bit concerned about the burners being able to handle the propane fuel and heat. They do say to use only the ones that are dual rated. I've read several articles about the conversion issues, but do not have much hands on with the whole thing. I thought I could help direct you to the sources you are trying to find. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you find...thanks, Craig

Craig :

Not real sure what else to do here for you...

Craig :

I'd like to go fishing instead of working....

Craig :

What are you catching there? Where are you located?

Craig :

Sounds nice. Water here in Colorado is muddy with run off now, so just the lakes are good now...

Customer:

The burners are dual rated. Thanks for the help you have put me onto some good sites.

Customer:

Fishing sounds like a good idea, but when you own a lodge there is not much time for fishing. We catch Walleye, Northerns, Musky and Bass. www.frenchriverlodge.com