Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a side-by-side refrigerator GE Model GSS22SGRE. Just

I have a side-by-side refrigerator GE Model GSS22SGRE. Just noticed it is not making ice anymore and the last few cubes it made were thin and hollow. The items on the top shelf above ice maker were thawed but nothing below is thawed. What can I do to rule out possibilities?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

Your issue is a defrost problem, what you need to do is remove all the food from the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer (the one with all the Frost on it) and replace your defrost heater, GE redesigned these heaters and they have double tube heaters now, what happens is when the freezer frosts up like that the temperature rises and the ice maker cannot make ice because it has a thermostat in it that will only make ice between 0 and 8 degrees, even though the food has not thawed the temperature is too high in the freezer for this to make ice, here is a link for the part and there is also a video there to show you how to test the heater to make sure, 90% of the time it's the heater, here's the link. I hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the detailed information. We do need a bit more help.

How do we remove the back we pull, slide, remove screws or what? If we just want to look at what type of heater it is, can we do that without unplugging the fridge? Also, if this is problem 90% of the time, what could the other possibility be? Where can we get one of the testing machines?

18 mos ago our ability to get water from the dispenser stopped. Is this new issue related to the old issue. At the time, the tech came out and said that if we defrost the coils then it would work for a while again, or we could just purchase a whole new door. We opted out of doing that. Just wondering if the last issue has anything to do with this new issue of no ice.

I'm sorry I was off line, there will be four screws holding that back panel on to Philip headwinds at the very top behind the light cover and two 1/4" once near the bottom just remove those slide the panel down a little bit and then pull it up and out. The heater will be at the very bottom underneath the silver coils, Lowe's sells the meters you need to check this with you can buy a cheap one for about $15, as far as the water stopping in the door dispenser this could be one of a couple of things your valve may have failed or the could be an issue with the main control board that's common too, for that however you will still need a meter to see if you're getting power to the valve in the back I have seen these refrigerators freeze up in the door and there are a few refrigerators where you need to replace the door to fix the issue but that's not usually the case, when you defrosted the coils did it work again for a while? You don't mention whether you did that are not, I will be on and off all day today will be checking my messages so I'll await your reply, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Yes, when we defrosted the coils, it worked for a while. Can't remember how long it worked, but then it stopped working again. Is this problem related to the current one?

I dont believe so , I think the defrost issue is the heater and the water in the door is a separate issue either the valve or the board, I don't believe the doors the issue, sometimes these to freeze up in the door though and stop the water flow, the way to find out if it's frozen the door is at the bottom of the doors there is a grill remove it will and there will be a quick disconnect hose connector, pushed the little ring around the plastic lines towards the connector and pull a hose out, put it in a bucket then press for water in if water comes out is frozen in the door itself, it's a lot of money to replace the door that's for sure you don't want to do that unless you absolutely need to, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan