Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our 8 yr old Bosch dishwasher doesnt drain. Is it the pump

Our 8 yr old Bosch dishwasher doesn't drain. Is it the pump or is the program not completing its run?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

do you have the full model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I don't.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you find it? are you at the machine? open the door and look on the side of it for the model # XXXXX the top of the door on the side.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
model SHX 46AO5UC
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Can you hear the pump running at the end of the cycle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, but then we never could. it is a quiet machine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay let's go over a couple of things, first is this hooked up to a garbage disposal? And second has this garbage disposal been changed recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no garbage disposal. never had had one.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay what you're going to need to do because the drain pump in this is buried underneath the machine the machine will have to come out of the cabinet, you will have to totally remove it just to get to the pump, you can't get to it from the top inside, here is a diagram it is part number 15 on the diagram, it the machine continues to run to the end of the cycle but does not drain you will need to replace the pump the impellers on these pumps either strip on the shaft of the motor or if something goes through it it breaks the paddles off the impeller, this can be a real pain in the neck to change I am sending you all the diagrams for your machine to help you if you wish to try to replace this yourself, click this blue link, it will take you to all of diagrams and parts, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan