Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE dishwasher that came with our manufactured home

We have a GE dishwasher that came with our manufactured home recently purchased. As far as we know, the unit may have never been used since our particular home was apparently used as a model. When we used the dishwasher the first time, there was a gritty residue on every piece of kitchenware at the end of the cycle. We reviewed the instruction manual, made sure we used the correct detergent in the correct amount as well as the recommended rinsing agent; however, the dishes still come out the same - this is not a cloudy film, but a coarse, gritty feel. It's hard to imagine there could be a blockage somewhere since the unit has not been used that much, if at all. Could there be something wrong with the rinse cycle, in that the heat used in the drying process is actually baking detergent onto the dishes? What do you think?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Iets get started.

can you tell me how much water is in the bottom of this after it fills in the beginning of the cycle ? You can start the machine and let it fill then open the door and tell me in inches approximately how much water is in the bottom, does it reach the heater?

Also can you get me the full model number from the inside of the machine on one of the side walls? This should be a tag there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan:

Sorry I didn't ge the full model number, but the unit is a GE Quietpower3. After starting the cycle, there was about an inch and a half of water on the bottom when the unit appeared to begin the next cycle - that doesn't seem right, does it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You say about 1 1/2 inches of water is in the bottom? So it doesn't actually reach the heater or does it? It's real difficult for me to diagnosis further without the full model number so I can bring up the diagrams and take a look at this, my guess is though right now you may not be getting the right amount of water into this machine, if you can find me the model number we can go over some things that I can show you parts and diagrams which will better help you understand what I will need you to do to check this, let me know if you can find it even if it's tomorrow that's fine whenever you can get it just reply back to me and hopefully we will be on at the same time we can get this straightened away, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I will try to get the full model number. My only computer is here at my office. I will be attending a 2-day seminar Wednesday and Thursday, but I can try to get back to the office after either day; if not, I will have to contact you on Friday with any information I have.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sure no problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan:

The full Model number is XXXXX

Serial NUmber is XXXXX 710051B

It is 7:00p EDT and I am at the office at this time, but will be leaving within 30 minutes.

Thank you. Chris

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay great, got the diagrams, what you need to do first is check the float assembly # XXXXX on the diagram, there is a cap over it just remove that and lift the float up and down and tell me if it moves freely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I'll have to go home and do this. I'll get back with you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
alright, I know its hard playing computer tag. lol
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan:

I have checked the float device as you suggested and it seems to move freely (a very small plastic shaft with a little knob on top, right?) So, what's next?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay well first I think your water valve is bad and second because of this theres not enough water to clean the dishes and rinse them good. the on other thing you should do is remove # XXXXX on the diagram and clean the sump out # XXXXX be carefull reaching down in that there could be broken glass in it, alot of grit can acumulate in this also without enough water the grit desnt get rinsed out, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.