Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My fridge got hit with a power surge and now it does not get

Customer Question

My fridge got hit with a power surge and now it does not get cold.The fan is working along with everything else,its just not getting cold.What could this be ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

How is the temp in the fridge and freezer? is the freezer warm also?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The freezer is warmer than the fridge side
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok can you pull the unit out from the wall and take the lower panel off in the rear. Behind this panel you will see the compressor. Feel the compressor, need to know if it is hot/warm or cold/room temp. Also need to know if the condenser fan beside the compressor is blowing.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ill have to plug it back in.I do know that the fan blows.Not sure about compessor temp.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok plug it back in for a hour or so then let me know, If you hear a faint clicking ever so often when you plug the unit back in get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok,Just plugged it back in fans blowing comppressor is cold at the momment.Should it be warm after an hour?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes the compressor will either be hot or room temp after an hour. need to know which because that then tells me where the problem is likely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks ill get back to you shortly.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok, also listen for a faint clicking noise that can be heard coming from the compressor ever so often.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi mike,I do hear a faint ticking it almost sounds like ice melting in a hollow container or somthing and the compressor is warm not really hot.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you hear this coming from the area of the compressor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well it sounds like its coming from inside of the compressor and i really have to put my ear to it to even really hear it
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok sounds to me like we have a bad compressor relay, This is mounted on the side of the compressor. Unplug the unit ant then take the metal clip/cover off the side of the compressor, Then pull the wires off the relay. Once the wires are off grab the relay and pull it off the side. Once off give the relay a shake, if it sounds like it has broken pieces inside (rattles) then you should replace it. If the relay does not rattle then the compressor is bad. In this case you will need to call a qualified repair guy to replace the compressor.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you have no further questions please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort. Also please remember you can come back at any time after accepting for additional assistance if needed.

Thanks!.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is that like the starting device?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Yes that is part of the start device.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So the fridge has been plugged in for a while now and ive noticed that when i open the freezer door that only the bottom of the inside is very cold and i feel cold air on my feet coming from the front vent.The compressor seems to be a little on the hotter side now.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If the unit was working as it should the inside will take around 8 hours to get to the correct temp after being unplugged. If you are hearing the clicking noise and have checked the relay and it rattles it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think that the relay would take the hit from a surge so the compressor dont? Man i just hate to think that its the compressor (being the most money of parts to fix)

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The relay is the most likely part to go out since it has a overload on it.