AppTech35002
AppTech35002, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience delivering, installing, and repairing major home appliances. Factory trained on most popular brands.
53934951

a red warning light has come on my bosch classixx fridge/f

a red warning light has come on my bosch classixx fridge/freezer

AppTech35002 :

Thank you for choosing me to answer your appliance question. I look forward to assisting you. Is the unit cooling? Which compartment is the warning light in?

Customer:

triangle red warning light,the freezer do not seem to be freezing

AppTech35002 :

I need to get the current status of the machine. Is anything running, interior fan, exterior fan, compressor? Is there any excessive heat coming from anywhere?

Customer:

every thing is running,but the freezer department is not working as it used to,the compressor at the back is hot.

AppTech35002 :

Have you heard an occasional buzz followed by a click sound?

Customer:

i think so

AppTech35002 :

That sound is likely coming from the hot compressor. If this is the case, your compressor has failed. How old is the refrigerator?

Customer:

5 to 6 years

AppTech35002 :

Check your owners manual for warranty information or contact the Bosch Customer Assistance Line @ 0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN Many manufacturers have an extended warranty on refrigeration components. Unfortunately it's time to start making alternate plans to keep your food cold until this is repaired.

Customer:

the red light has just gone off,will the freezer continue to work now.

AppTech35002 :

I doubt it. The sound I described is the sound of the compressor attempting to start (the buzz), overheating and then tripping a temperature overload protection circuit (the click). If the sound is coming from somewhere else then we need to keep talking.

Customer:

The light is still off,no buzzing or clicking at moment

AppTech35002 :

The sound will be intermittent. The compressor will take several minutes to cool down, reset the temperature overload, then try to start again. Would you say that the compressor is almost too hot to touch?

Customer:

sorry,but do you meenreset temp.

AppTech35002 :

No,no. I was explaining the cycle of the buzz/click phenomena. The temperature protection circuit I was speaking of will reset itself after the compressor cools down. Have you tried to touch the compressor? Is it almost too hot to touch?

Customer:

It is quite hot.

AppTech35002 :

I'm feeling pretty confident with my diagnosis. I can't explain why the warning light went off but the proof is in the symptoms you have described and the freezer temperature.

Customer:

I think you are right,how much do you think it would cost for new compressor.

AppTech35002 :

I am in the US and so would not feel comfortable giving an estimate. Don't forget to check with Bosch. Even if you are out of warranty, manufacturers have been known to extend the warranty to help a customer out. They may cover the parts for you, or partial labor, or some combination of both.

Customer:

Thank for your help,will now click accept button.