Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore Washer model 110 20712 990 will agitate and drain,

Customer Question

Kenmore Washer model 110 20712 990 will agitate and drain, but will not spin.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

When it gets to the spin cycle do you hear any sounds at all? Just a dead stop?

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Can hear the humming of the motor. But not moving at all
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

First can you hear a clicking sound as well? Look under the washer and see if you can see black dust. If you see or hear that just stop and let me know.

If you see neither of those put a pen in the hole where the lid switch is and give the tub a spin clockwise by hand, does it take off then?

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No clicking sound. No black dust. We have the washer detached, and we are currently going to hook it back up to try the other (lid switch) solution.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

I understand please take your time, I will be here.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We put the pen in the lid switch hole, but the tub will not turn
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

Ok there are to other checks. And thank you.

I am afraid it may be the clutch but check and see if the coupling is broken. There is a video below that shows how to get to it. I know its going to take a while, thats ok take your time and be safe, I will be here. Let me know what you find.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We tilted the washer over toward us on its belly. This way were able to look underneath (from the bottom of the washer) and examine the coupler. It appears to be fine. (Keep in mind, the washer does agitate normally.)
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry, thats my fault. I should have remembered that. I will need to opt out, its gone beyond what I can guide you to do. Another more mechanical tech will be along shortly.

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A new expert is supposed to contact us. Are you out there?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. Iets get started.

Okay my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you, you say you tipped the machine over already and checked the coupling and it looks good correct? Actually it wouldn't agitate if the coupling was broken anyway, can you put this back up right and plug it in and put it on spin, push a pencil through the little hole in the top of the machine that the little post on the door goes through and pushed the switch down, tell me if the tub tries to move, given a little spin with your hand and see if it starts to spin, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We put the pen in the lid switch hole and tried to turn, but the tub will not turn
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay but the motor ran? In other words could hear the motor turn on and it starts to drain of course to was no water in it but did you hear the motor start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the motor works. (See in the previous diologue w/ the other expert).. The machine agitates and drains, but will not spin.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I just wanted to double check you need to replace your clutch,this is not too difficult to do in fact if you click on this link it will take you to the part and there is a video to show you how to replace it, the clutch assembly is $33.50, here's the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Clutch-Assembly/285785/2670?modelNumber=110.20712990 if everything else is running like you said the clutch is bad they are sorta like brake pads in the car they wear out and no longer grab in spin the tub, this will take care your issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Before we accept the answer, we are going to order a new clutch, install it, and see if it works. If so, we will log back in and definitely approve the payment.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sure that's fine, there are only two things that you haven't checked , one is the clutch which I'm pretty sure the problem or if that doesn't work your transmission is gone and you definitely don't want to put a transmission in it at $188.00, it would almost be cheaper to buy a new machine at that point, just let me know how you make out and please if it works for you don't forget to come back and accept, thanks and well wishes, Bryan