Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  Very handy with appliance troubleshooting and repairs.
329447

I am hooking up a 3-prong dryer cord to adaprt to the 3-prong

I am hooking up a 3-prong dryer cord to adaprt to the 3-prong outlet. There are no colors or markings on the gray Utilitec wires. Which is which?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Do you currently have a 4 prong cord on attached to the dryer?

Is your problem that you don't know how to hook up the three prong cable or is it that you don't know which conductor is which on the three prong cable?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
which conductor is which
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

On your three conductor cable, the (possibly smaller) middle conductor is the neutral.

The outer two are the two hots.

Does the dryer currently have a 4 prong cord? If it does then you will need to make a small change to the neutral bonding wire on the dryer. I can show you how if this is the case. It would be preferable to use a 4 prong plug set up but three is acceptable.

Just ask if you need more help on this issue. I will be here.

If you don't, please click ACCEPT to help my rating on 'Just Answer' and please leave positive feedback. If you do not plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click accept but instead, tell me how I can improve on my answer. Bonuses are a bonus!

Thanks very much.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I change the neutral bonding wire?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok. If the dryer currently has a 4 wire connection, you will see a small wire connected to the center terminal that disappears into the dryer. This is the bonding wire. Since your new three wire cord does not have a separate ground, you need to take that small wire and screw it into the existing ground terminal - where the existing ground wire in the 4 conductor cord is attached.

A drawing may help.....take the wire that is on the center terminal and ground it to the dryer case like this:

graphic

Then connect your new three wire cable.

Make sure you do this. Failure to do this is dangerous and not to code.

Again, a 4 wire is preferable.

Thanks very much.