John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

electrolux washing machine EW1280F has the error E10 re-occuring

Customer Question

electrolux washing machine EW1280F has the error E10 re-occuring and the water is pumped into the pre rinse compartment so the powder is not used at the end of the wash. one pump was faulty and replaced recently.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Turn the appliance on, any programme except the 1st one.

Close the door.

Press and hold together the start/pause button and the button to the left of it.

You'll have another error code displayed.

Let me know the code.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have turned the power on.

selected delicate wash, the third cycle,

closed the door,

pressed and held the buttons start/pause and to the left options at the same time for 10 seconds but no error code appeared. is this the correct sequence?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya

According to the service manual for the model number you've posted, yes.

You press and hold the start pause button along with the one immediately to the left of it.

Can you post the product number (PNC) of the appliance please?

It begins with 9 so you need to prefix it with A to prevent it being crossed out when posted.

e.g. A91441994100

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model is EW 1280 F.

Electrolux

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Yes I know the model number.

It's the PNC number I need to ensure I'm looking at the correct machine.

I have 8 machines listed with the model number you've posted.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry A914517506
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Different machine to the one I looked at.

Switch off.

Press and hold the start/pause and skip/reset buttons together.

While holding them, switch on.

The leds will flash, release the buttons.

The leds will scroll.

Press and release the fabric button (next to the on/off) repeatedly until you get the 2nd bottom led of the 2nd column lit.

Let me know the error code.

Switch off, on and off again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not reall sure what you mean by 2nd bottom led of second column.if i hit the fabric button it does scroll through to E41
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, I don't know how to put "2nd bottom led of the 2nd column" any plainer.

The e41 is the stored error.

I suspect you've pressed buttons with the door open at some point as it's a door error.

Run the machine.

When you get the e10 again.

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the stored error.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have started the wash
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
have scrolled to the second bottom led in the temperature column and the error is E11
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

When you try to use the machine, does it take any water in?

At what point in the programme does it fail?

Does it do the wash and fail at the rinse?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Set machine to Quick wash 54 min, cottons,cold,1200 spin.

Please note pre-wash is not selected.

I have place washing powder in both pre-wash and wash compartments. press start and water is added through pre-wash which is wrong and should have been wash compartment. when the wash cycle is finished there is still powder in the was compartment. Water seems to be pumping into the machine quickly enough but the timer does not count down in real time, it will read 49 min but it has been close to 10 min real time since the cycle started then the E10 error first appears. press pause start key and the cycle resumes.The wash cycle starts at 48 min with the water level reaching the bottom of the door seal with a very small load. E10 happens again at 23 min on the rinse cycle ( when adding water again I think) Again the timer is very slow to count down and at 22 min E10 reoccurs. There was around 5 to 10 min real time again and when the machine started again the water level had reached the bottom of the glass on the front door.( possibly whatever detects the water level is faulyt). With the wash complete the washing powedr still remains in the wash compartment.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

Take the dispenser drawer out.

Look into the dispenser and up.

Are the holes in the dispenser blocked?

If water is getting into the machine quickly enough it would suggest only 1 valve is operating.

Unplug the appliance.

Take the top off of the machine.

At the top rear is the double inlet valve.

Test this using a multimeter.

Take the wires off each valve and test to see if it's open circuit.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have removed the hoses to the inlet for both wash and pre-wash and can blow through both. both solenoid valves read 3.73 k

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately the fault isn't making logical sense.

If you are able to blow through the valves then water should be able to enter into the correct chamber.

I'll opt out of the question and open it to all experts again.

See if any of them can shed some light on this.

Sorry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but there seems to be a little confusion, I can blow through the hoses coming from the solenoids not the solenoids themselves. if i modify the connectors so that they will interchange i can get one solenoid to activate at a time not both. one solenoid with the red wires reads 240v ac when activated and around 80v ac in standby. the second only reads 88.4v ac when activated and again around 80v ac in standby.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, how are you measuring this voltage?

Do you have both probes on the valve? or 1 to earth?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
both on the solenoid terminals
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

And when you test them, does one of them take in water when energised?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the solenoid that has 240v allows water. both solenoids will work if the red wiring is attatched to them(one at a time of course)
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, you've lost me now.

You said 80 volts and a little more earlier.

Now you've stated 240 volts.

Sorry, I'm not following what you are doing here.

You check for continuity.

Both valves measure fine.

You then replaced the wiring to the valves?

Then you tested to see if they are powered?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
With the machine turned on but no cycle running both solenoids have around 80v AC. When I start the cycle the solenoid with the red wiring will activate when the voltage changes to 240v AC and allow water through. The solenoid with the blue wiring will not activate but the voltage changes from 80v AC to 88v AC. I know both solenoids work because i have fitted the red wiring to both solenoids one at a time.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

And the one that doesn't work, when connected to the red wiring, does it fill the main wash compartment?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I can hear and feel the water pressure in the hose but it is not feeding into the top compartments, pre-wash, wash, softener
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, if you hear and feel water going in and it's not going through the dispenser I would suggest there's something wrong in the dispenser too.

Perhaps the blue wire valve is not supposed to open at this time.

As I said previously, the fault isn't making logical sense and I'm afraid it still isn't.

I'll leave the question open to all experts and opt out of it.

Sorry.