Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag stacked washer MLG2000AWW and the washer is

Customer Question

I have a Maytag stacked washer MLG2000AWW and the washer is not extracting all the water. With the door open I put it on the spin cycle and the tub spins slowly in one direction and then in the opposite direction. It does this two or three times and then stops completely. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today. lets get started.

You can start this with the door open? It's not supposed to do that, you need to check your door switch assembly, is the door locking and the door lock light on when the door is shut?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brian,

In normal operation the door locks and cannot be opened during the spin cycle. To understand what was happening, I opened the door, held the switch with my finger and then advanced the control knob to the spin cycle.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay well that won't work to test the spin because there are switches inside the latch assembly also that would need to be engaged in order for this to spin, what you got a need to check is the control board unfortunately,the resistors burner on these in the machine will no longer spin, this is a real common issue with these most likely yours are burnt, you will need to replace the board, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/22004325/1032714?modelNumber=MLG2000AWW thanks and well wishes, Bryangraphicthis is all too common issue with these
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian, I'll order the part and install per your recommendation. By the time I receive it and get it installed it's likely to be mid next week.

If I press the accept answer button can I still ask you questions or do I need to start another session? If I can still ask questions, how would I do that? (This is my first time on this web site).

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Dave you have 30 days after you press accept to come back and ask more questions, I would pull the board out and take a look at it before ordering, I put a red arrow on the picture to show you where to check on the board, if those diodes are not burnt the board may be fine and it's probably in the lock assembly, most likely however it's the board is more common than any other part in this machine, they also tell you to replace the wax motor in the door lock assembly when this board Burns because that is the reason why it goes,here's what they say about the board which I think you've already read on the website, Machine control board. *Burned resistor on board indicates another problem within the machine - [A $35.00 core deposit is included in the price shown, which will be refunded when the original part is returned.] What they mean by another problem they mean the wax motor, you can order the wax motor at the same site for around $15 I think, to get back to me just come back on sign back in and reply, thanks and well wishes
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Brian, I give your suggestions a shot and order both parts if necessary.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay Dave thanks, XXXXX XXXXX said if you need help later let me know, thanks again, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

I'm back. I removed the mail control board and checked the resistors. All appears to be fine with the board. No burned components and no "electronic meltdown/short" smell.

Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay that's good and bad, there are only two other things that can cause this not to spin that would be the door latch assembly switches or the motor control board which is entirely different then the other board, this is the motor control board they made a change to these because they were failing, it now comes with the new motor control board and a new motor which on most of these had to be replaced at one time under warranty we did a lot of these, there was a mismatch the motor in the control board itself so they could replace just the control board they had come out with a new set up and this is what they designed to replace your old one, before you order this however I would test the interlock switch on the door lock assembly, this is the switch that tells the control board it's okay to spin that the door is locked, but from what you said above door locks and the lock light comes on the control correct? If so it sounds like you need to replace the motor and motor control board, I would check that switch just to be sure, if you click this blue link it will take you to the switch and a video on how to test it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Interlock-Switch/22002162/454909?modelNumber=MLG2000AWW test that first, if that checks out change the motor control board and motor, here's a link to that, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-and-Control-Module/12002039/949491?modelNumber=MLG2000AWW it's getting a little more difficult nowadays to test a lot of these components so that's about all I can do, hope this helps though, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

As you surmised, the switch checks just fine in both the NO and NC positions.

It's a bit troubling that the motor/controll has to be replaced. I paid a repair company almost $600 to have that done only a year and a bit ago.

Is there any way to test either the motor or the control board before I spend another couple hundred to replace this again?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you had this replaced already? it shouldnt be bad again I wouldnt think, I have to step out for a couple of hours and when I get back I'll see if I can find some info on testing this. thanks Bryan, in the mean time check the ballance switch, the sme way you tested the other switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem. I try a few other tests. Just send me a note when your free again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
have you made sure this is fully draining? have you checked the pump for obstructions? its a good idea to take the drain hoses off the pump and make sure this is draining completely because it's really tough to tell with the front load whether there is water under the tub. If this is not completely empty it will not spin because it does not reset the water level control, take a look at that and let me know, I pulled up some service sheets and I'm looking through it now, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, thanks for getting back.

I checked all the sensors and found that the unbalance sensor (on top of drum) is always 0 ohms no matter how hard I shook the piece. While I was there I check the the balance switches on the side and bottom of the tub and they seem to be fine.

I also checked the wax motor and found in reads only 600 ohms and I think the proper reading should be(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The drum is pretty much drained. there was a small bit of water but nothing noteworthy.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes I'm not sure on the ohms for the wax motor but if this is locking in the lock light comes on the wax motor is doing it's job that's what the wax motor does it's like a tiny motor that slowly locks the door and engages switch, the things I showed you above came out of the manuals of course they are kind of confusing also but but that's what they say to check I'm starting to lean towards the motor and control board again, we seem to have covered most of the bases on this, if your absolutely sure that there's no issue with the first board I told you to check and no burnt diodes where I showed you then the only other thing would be either the motor and control board or possibly a timer issue, there's no way to test that timer though, the timer has contacts in it as the dial goes around it opens and closes the contacts inside the timer for the different cycles, I'm still reading up on that particular model the stackable can be a pain in the neck, I'll do some more reading on it I have the manuals but there are a lot of pages to read through, I'll get back to you shortly, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

I am sure there are no burned components in the main control board. I checked the ones you indicated and did a check over the entire board just in case. As I mentioned, I didnt notice that unique small you get when electronics get fried.

I'll give some time to look through your manuals and if we've ruled out everything else, I'll have to bite the bullet and dump another 250 into the motor and controller.

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I've read over everything I can and sent you the information that I can find on the testing in my service manuals and that's all I can come up with, what I would do since there really is only two things left that you cannot check physically that is the timer and the motor and controller, I hate going out on a limb but what I think I would do is order the timer and install it, if that doesn't work if you order it at this link you can send it back even if you've installed it no questions asked, here's the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/22002452/455181?modelNumber=MLG2000AWW since you had the motor and controller replaced I would go with the timer first it $76.45, and you can return it if it doesn't work, I have had to replace these timers for that reason not spinning that is, it really is hard to say whether that's your issue or not but it's the lesser of the two evils at this point, there is a cam formation and contact data sheet I can send you but it's almost impossible for you to be able to test it and know the correct contacts to test, I can't even do that well I guess I could but it would be very difficult, in fact the wiring information is too large a file to send to you, I wish I could do better on this but it's very difficult to diagnose these without being there and it seems you covered all the bases, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, it sounds like your convinced its the motor/controller but your breaking it to me slowly. OK, I'll order some parts and once I get them installed I'll drop you a note and let you know how I made out.

Thanks for all your help, Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry Dave, I don't mean to be confusing it's just there's not a lot you can do the test the motor and controller and since you had it replaced and like the last year or so I'm starting to think it's not that, I'm just trying to get you through this and it sounds like it may be in timer since the motor /controller was replace so recently, I don't think I've ever had to go out and replace another one that we replaced in that short amount of time is all I'm saying, I was just thinking the time would be a lot less shipping cost is I believe you have to pay the shipping back also so if it turned out not to be the motor it's gonna cost a lot more if you ordered that first with the time I would probably run $8 or $10 to ship maybe less, thanks and let me know what you come up with, there's only so much you can test on these machines, believe me I had to eat a few parts myself but of course we can use them on other jobs so it's not as bad but if you get the parts to repair clinic like I said they will let you return them, which is kind of good news, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I just wanted to let you know the outcome of my repair efforts. I replaced the balance switch/sensor, the wax motor and the timer and now all is well. We've had the spin cycle for several days now. Thankfully, your recommendations did the trick without having to replace the motor and controller.

Thanks for all your good advice,

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your welcome, sorry I didnt respond earlier I had to work yesterday and again this morning, thanks Bryan