Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We just hooked up the water to our refrigerator this morning.

We just hooked up the water to our refrigerator this morning. We still have no ice and no water. Is this normal?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

do you have a model # XXXXX make?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's an LG - the manual says "SXS Refrigerator"
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
inside the fresh food section there should be a tag with the full model # XXXXX you look. On either the side walls or on the ceiling inside thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LSC26905SW
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay give me a few minutes to look up the model, don't press opt out button or you will lose me and I wont be able to answer you, we see people do this by accident all the time and then they can't get back to me and I can't get back to them so bear with me while and look this up, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
ok is this brand new? I found your model. did you just get this and hooked the water up just now or did you have this awhile and never got around to hooking it up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

We've had it awhile, and just got around to hooking up the water. Bought one of the "kits" recommended at Lowes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay . sorry I was offline. so when you press for water do you hear a buzz in the back where the line connects?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. We hear nothing at all. Just the click of the switch. It has made ice and dumped it into the ice container, but does not dispense. And no water.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay so you don't hear the buzz would press the button for water, since this is sat for so long and not been used with the water hooked up you will have to do one thing at least if you have a voltmeter that is, do you have a voltmeter and know how to check voltage? I need you to check the valve 120 Volts when you push the paddle for water, one thing on your control panel in the front in the freezer door have you selected water from the buttons,? This should be buttons that say crushed ice, cubed ice, or water did you select the water button and try that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have selected water. Where do we check the voltage? Is there a panel we have to take off? And is it AC or DC?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
You will need to check it at the valve in the back where you connected your water line from the house to, since you getting ice now you definitely have water getting to the water valve, the refrigerator has electronic water valve in the back is 120 VAC when you are checking it by pushing the paddle for water, there are two solenoids on the valve shown in this picture the one with the orange ring is for the icemaker in the one next to it the white one is for water in the door you need to put your probes on the solenoid with the larger line (plastic) that has the white ring in this picture. You can actually check them all there will be I believe for different plugs on this valve check them all well pushing it in for water see if you get 120 volts anywhere on the solenoids, it's difficult to say which one is actually going to get the voltage but you will get somewhere on that valve when you press the button like you are getting water out of the door, you said it made ice have you tried to see whether you can get ice through the door? Does the auger turn and ice come out you try the ice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We do not get ice out the door at all. The ice maker does make ice and deposit it into the storage tray but, there is no ice or water when the switch in the door is pressed. There is a hum at the back of the fridge for a few seconds when the ice empties out of the tray and the water fills up the ice tray again.

I will check for voltage at the selenoids.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay great we are getting closer, you won't need to check the voltage down there because the same switch that runs the auger so you can get ice through the door also runs the water through the door so the problem is gonna be the switch in the dispenser assembly, let me look that up hang on a minute I'll be back shortly
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay what has happened is because this refrigerator set for so long the microswitch on the funnel assembly has most likely corroded inside and the contacts are not making contact any longer, there is a microswitch in the funnel assembly, the problem is you need to replace the funnel assembly itself in order to replace the switch,you can see the switch it's the black part on the right side of the picture behind that white actuator, you will need to take the dispenser apart to get at this, you can order the part at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Dispenser-Funnel/3017JA2004M/1266775?modelNumber=LSC26905SW before you order it you may want to take the funnel assembly out and test the switch for continuity when you push it in, I'm pretty sure though and not gonna get any continuity, we've seen this happen before and if these sit for a long time not being used they tend to get corroded inside and not work, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.