Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Bosch Gas Range HGS235U. Lately it has started to

I have a Bosch Gas Range HGS235U. Lately it has started to trip a GFI circuit when I start the oven. The GFI outlet trips 1 second after I push the oven start. What are likely problems?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

GFI's tend to trip easier than a circuit breaker itself, most likely what's going on in yours is the oven igniter is drawing more than 15 A to try to light the oven, have you tried the broiler or is the broiler in the bottom of the of and uses the same burner?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand how a GFI works. The question is what is causing the oven to trip the circuit. When set to broil, the cuircuit does not trip. When set to bake or convection bake, it trips. This is a recent issue and we have had the oven for several years. No problems up to a month ago. If you can ive me some likely places to check for problems in the oven, it would be most helpful. Thank You.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry was offline. so the broil works and thats in the top of the oven correct? its not in the drwaer in the bottom, right? the oven igniter is the issue, its drawing to many amps. , can you see the igniter in the bottom glowing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Broiler element is on top, yes. It is very difficult to see if the botom element is glowing because the door has to be closed for the oven to light. Also there is a metal cover over thebottom element.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well it's definitely the igniter, I would change the igniter and see how it works then, unless one of the wires has melted going to it and its shorting out then the igniter has to be the issue in this, you can order it at the following link, thanks, Bryan