Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, I have a kitchenaid range KGSA906PWH that was purchased

Hello, I have a kitchenaid range KGSA906PWH that was purchased in Nov 05. After recently baking I was unable to turn off the oven because the 'off' button on the control panel (switch membrane) would not work. It appears that all the other controls work. We turned off the gas and unplugged the stove. We tried if again and had the same problem - 'off' switch for oven would not work. But we also noticed that the burner element on top the oven was heating up but the oven was not igniting and was taking forever to get to temperature. We were told it is the 'clock' part? The clock works fine but this must control other things? We had the membrane switch replaced in 2009. We want to make sure the right part is replaced because of the cost. We've had a lot of problems with this range. Do you think this is one problem - the off switch & oven not igniting - or separate problems. Would love to hear your opinion. Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

the membrane has been replaced already in this ? so the oven igniter is glowing but not lighting the burner? are you able to hit the off switch now and does it stop?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok yes, the switch membrane was replaced a couple years ago for a different problem - it is not the igniter that is glowing - we are unable to see that on this range - what is glowing is the electric heating element at the top of the oven. And, no the off switch still does not work and also we hear no 'puff' as we normally do when gas ignites.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I hate to say I'm a bit confused but when you say the electric heating element at the top of the oven you are talking about inside the oven am I correct or are you talking about something else,? In other words you can see the igniter which is inside the oven on the roof for the broiler glowing but the burner is not igniting am I correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, the electric heating element IS inside the oven and is called by the owners manual "electric halo element that used for maxi broil" - this is the only thing that is on/ glowing in the oven. I can see the igniter and it is not on. The oven has been turned on now about 1 hour and the temp is only up to 200 degrees.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay you need to replace the ignition module in this,you can order this at the following link, it also has a video to show you how to replace it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, but will this also fix the oven 'off switch'???
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I really can't be sure on that I don't believe it will though, it sounds like the keypad is failed again which is not unusual, but it's possible the electronics on the ignition module control is causing that issue, I know that's causing the other issue of not lighting but I can't be sure until that is replaced whether it's going to take care of the off button situation, they've got way too many electronics in these machines now which are completely useless, it's the worst thing they've ever done adding all these electronic parts, ovens and ranges used to last 30 years without the problem but not any longer unfortunately, if you don't wish to take the chance and replace the board then it may be worth the to you to have a technician come out and look at this, the good news is the place I sent you to order the part will let you return it if it doesn't take care the issue of the lighting of the oven, even if you've already installed it and tried it that's why send people to that site they are willing to take returns no questions asked, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thank you. I am waiting on my husband to come home and make sure he doesn't have any additional questions - and then I will accept so you get paid. It may be as late as this evening. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sure no problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, we don't have any more questions but we still don't know whether the stove is worth repairing if it turns out there are two parts involved. Our hope was that this would answer that question so we know how to proceed - it didn't, but I believe that you gave me the best information that you have. This IS crazy with all the electonic parts - this is the most I have ever paid for a stove - and I'm 62 so have bought a couple - and it's the worst one ever. Technology???....not always good. Thanks for your help. Just have to say one other thing - the website should say up front that there is a charge for the information. I don't think it would change the number of people using the site and it would be honest.