Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Ice dispenser of GE Profile refrig. makes distinct cluncking

Customer Question

Ice dispenser of GE Profile refrig. makes distinct cluncking sound and dispenses little or no ice, neither cubes or crushed. Motor seems to work. Any thoughts on what to check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

so the auger motor turns? remove the ice bin and hold the light button in with the door open and press the paddle for ice, is the fork in the back turning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't ID paddle you refer to. With door open and light button in, dispenser controls on exterior do not cause motor to run at all. With bucket in normal position and door closed, requesting ice sounds like motor is turning but perhaps binding. With ice bucket removed, I can turn auger by and and seem to turn freely.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the paddle is the part you push to get ice, I think what you hear is the crushed / cube solenoid engaging. I dont thik the auger motor is turning, the fork in the back # XXXXX on this diagram should turn with the light switch in when you push for ice ,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would replacing the motor fix it? Have offloaded all the ice from the bin. Get no motor sounds or response when pressing cubed or crushed controls on door when closed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

it may need a new motor but I would check for power to it if you can and have a volt meter, it will reqiure taking the uager motor assembly down and using a volt meter on the two connections at the motor, you should get 120 volts if you do replace the motor. heres a link to the part,

auger motor thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this simple enough for me to replace myself? I'm moderately handy.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

prety much , you will need to remove the cover 361 and a few other things , heres a link to all the diagrams,

diagrams that should help. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just ordered a motor. This should be another adventure with this icemaker. We're very unhappy with this appliance. Tempted to just junk it and start over. Thanks for your help.

Rick

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your welcome , they are a pain and not made like they used to be thats for sure, thanks Bryan