Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile gas cooktop. When I attempt to light it

I have a GE Profile gas cooktop. When I attempt to light it there is no gas flow initially, but it will light after 30-60 seconds. The sparking is occurring on all heads.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get us the full model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I presume it is underneath the unit, so getting the number will require that I remove the drawers. That will take time. Can we suspend this until I can do that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Sure just come back when you find the model number, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think it is JGP963SEJ1SS
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay great does this happen on all the burners?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay this means your spark module is weak, even though it is sparking it's not strong enough to light the burner immediately, you need to replace this, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Spark-Module/WB13T10047/1085574?modelNumber=JGP963SEJ1SS this is located under the top, here is another link that will take you to the diagrams, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Cooktop-Parts/Model-JGP963SEJ1SS/0432/0121050?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=JGP963SEJ1SS hope this information helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I ope the cooktop?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
If you look at the diagrams I sent you you need to remove the burners and there will be screws under the caps (burner caps) you have to remove those there probably torx screws they usually are you need to remove the knobs and any screws under the knobs also in the top should lift up, be careful not to strip any of the screws sometimes these can be difficult to get loose make sure you use the right sized torx bit, once you lift it up you will see the spark module, replace the old one with the new one going wire for wire one at a time so you don't get them backwards, as you lift the top be careful the wires will still be connected to the spark igniters, it's very tricky to get these open and is no easy way but you need to be careful not to pull the wires off when you lift the top, thanks, Bryan