Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my gas cooker/stove sometimes makes a scary powerful whoosh

Customer Question

my gas cooker/stove sometimes makes a scary powerful whoosh sound and then the flame goes out. Kind of alarming. Once I have regrouped I turn the knob off, wait a few secs and light it again with no problems. Fine if im in the room but obviously gas would continue to flow where I in the shower or whatever. Im sure this isnt right. Ideas please?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

It isnt so much the gas being released as when it is being lit that is your problem. It sounds to me like the glow bar igniter inside of your oven isnt getting hot enough before the gas is being released. If the glow bar doesnt get hot enough to ignite the gas before the gas is released then the gas builds up a bit while the glow bar is still heating up. When the glow bar finally gets hot enough the gas is ignited and you get the Whoosh (basicly a small explosion of the built up gas) You should change the glow bar igniter of your oven. This will resolve the problem.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer:

Hi, maybe i wasnt specific enough. The flame goes along and all is cooking nicely, without any drama for 5 minutes or so ( no real pattern to the timing) then unprovoked !!!! goes whoosh and out. Never a problem to light initially, nor relight after the whoosh.

The Home Smithy :

I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvienience.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

If this lights initially correctly and has no problem with 5 min. or so it can still be the igniter like the other tech said, if the igniter loses its amperage after so many minutes like you said it's random the burner will go out with a woosh , how long have you had the stove and also what is the model number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan, Did I say that it doesnt matter either, how many of the 4 burners are going? When it goes whoosh, they ALL go out. Neither can I seem to identify 1 culprit of the 4. Its a Chef brand -Torrens Co-ordinate Series= model number worn off inside oven plate. Imagine theres more info on rear of oven but cant access that easily. Between 10 and 15 years old i imagine. We weren't here when it was purchased.

PS Cooked using 2 flames for 15 mins last night without a hiccup. Very random.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, so you were talking about the top burners I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the oven, from what you're explaining now I would say your problem lies in the regulator,(gas regulator) without a model number I understand you can't get it because it has worn off but without a model number I can't show you the regulator, I can show you what a basic regulator looks like and most of them are very similar, the problem is you would need a gas technician to replace this, it requires working on the gas part of the stove itself which is not a good idea for a homeowner or business owner to do, if this is not installed correctly and has a leak you could have a serious explosion, I would call a technician to come out of look at it he can probably get the number off the regulator itself, or at least be able to match one up for you, the regulator is what controls the gas flow and these can be temperamental when they start to fail, being that it's 10 to 15 years old its around the time that these can fail, being that it's not one particular burner tells me that it's not going to be in the controls, the only thing the gas flows through the sides the burner controls is the regulator so that has to be the issue, I hope this information is useful it's something I would recommend you try to do yourself however, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.