Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

How do I replace refrigerator theromdisc

How do I replace refrigerator theromdisc?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The new thermostat (thermal disc) should have come with two wire nut connectors did it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It did not come with anything but, the thermostat and attached to 2 wires one pink one orange.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so is no plug on it either then correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct it is just like the pictures you sent me, this is the link you gave me

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok you will have to cut the wires and use wire nuts to reconect the new one,make sure your refrigerator is unplugged,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But, what about the plug on the exsiting thermostat? Is it possible to disconnect the old wires and insert the new? I'll send you a picture if you need me to?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you really cant ,you have to cut them , they are bare wires right ? just stripped back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok if I cut the wire what do I do with the black wire?

graphic

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay the orange wire goes to the heater in the pink why goes the plug so you just need to snip the pink wire up close to the thermostat then strip it back and connected to the pink wire on the thermal disc using a wire connector then do the same thing with the red wire and use a wire nut and snap it back onto the coils that's all you need to do make sure the refrigerator is unplugged and just cut the pink wire it up close to the thermostat and the other one up close to the thermostat and then disconnect the pick one to the pink and yellow until the red, hope this helps and I hope it takes care the issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I don't have a open hardware store close to me, so I'll have to do this tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, thanks Bryan