Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

out kenmore clothes dryer, model 110.86982100, sometimes shuts

out kenmore clothes dryer, model 110.86982100, sometimes shuts off early in both the automatic cycler and the timed cycle. the vent is clear of lint. any clues on solution?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

how often does this happen?does it run most of the cycle and then shut off before the close are dry or does it sometimes shut off pretty early in the cycle?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well, friday i ran one timed cycle and it was fine. did a second right after those were folded and it only went about 10 min. instead of the 70 i had it set for. my wife ran two the other day in the auto cycle and neither ran until dry. finally on the third try she got it to dry. thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay can you remember when you had this go off after about 10 min. were you able to restart the dryer right away or did you have to wait a little while before would start again,? When trying to ask you is when it does shut off I you able to restart it right away?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i didnt know that it had shut off after 10 minutes until after i went down after 60 minutes when i thought the clothes would be done. it did run a complete hour-cycle then.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a load of wet clothes you can put in this and try it? If you don't you can put a bunch of dry ones in there I guess, what I'm trying to determine is if the motor is overheating and shutting this down, if you can restart it right after it shuts off it's most likely not the motor if you can't and you need to wait a few minutes before it will start most likely the motor is gone, can you do that test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Great, let me know when it does, I know it can be a pain to wait for to stop but you need to try the start switch right away after it shuts off, let me know if it starts
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not a pain to wait THAT short amount of time. no restart.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so it wouldn't start right away, wait about 5 min. then try again let me know if it starts you may even hear a slight click, that would be the motor overload resetting, let me know thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did restart
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay but it took about 5 min. or so right? Means the motor is bad and needs to be replaced, let me see if I can get you some information on that, give me a few minutes, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I found your motor and I'm giving you this link which will take you directly to the part and there is a video you watch to show you how to replace the motor, here is the motor. And this is the link to the video and where you can purchase the motor. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/158?modelNumber=110.86982100%20%20%20 part number for the motor is, 279787 and if you Google that you can probably find the motor cheaper and just use the video I sent you to show you how to do it, you can watch the video without buying the motor there so that may help, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.