Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Amana electric dryer - model NED 5100T Q1; Type D433 ele(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Amana electric dryer - model NED 5100T Q1; Type D433 ele(NNN) NNN-NNNNFM54; - dryer won't start when the start button is pressed, the buzzer sounds indicating the cycle is over when it hasn't even started. How do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 3 years ago.

A volt meter will be needed to test several components. Two common issues on this unit though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to get a volt meter, and when I get it, be aware I have no experience with one. I assume that with my order #, we can pick up where we leave off? with no extra charge?
Yes that's fine. You wi need to know how to use it friend
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got the meter, read the instructions. What should I set the function/range to? ACV 500, 250, or 10?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The appliance medic has opt out of this question so I will try to help you, the first thing you will need to check is the thermal fuse,this is located if you remove the back panel on the dryer it will be on the blower assembly, you will need to check this for continuity, 9 out of 10 times this is the problem, I am giving you a link to show you how to test this, it shows you how to use the meter and test the thermostat, click this blue link and it will take you to the video, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/2986?modelNumber=NED5100TQ1#repairHelpVideoTabs let me know if it is good, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The thermal fues is good.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, next you need to check the door switch,take a look when you open the door is the black part of that switch still there sticking through so the door can hit it? Sometimes these breakoff there plastic let me know, you checked the door switch the same way you checked the thermal fuse only you got a push the little black part in to engage the switch while you're testing it, let me know if that comes out like, also did you check and make sure you getting 220 V to the dryer yet or do you not know how to do that? You can set your meter on 500 V and test at the plug itself to see if you getting 220 V to the two outside posts in other words the red and black wires if you put the meter between the two of them you should get 220 V, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The dryer's getting electricity because the buzzer buzzes; but when I test at the plug, with the voltage meter set on ACV 500, the needle only goes up half way. On the black V-mA scale, that reads as 125. Is that what it should read?

Also, the door switch doesn't have any black on it. The male part that sticks out of the dryer body is bare metal and the female part on the door is white plastic.The bare metal inserts into the white plastic with a good solid click and the door feels secure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the control will buz but is your not getting 220 volts then you have a bad breaker or fuse in your home. do you have circuit breakers or fuses?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
circuit breakers
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay on the back of the dryer where the cord connects you will have three posts the two outside posts if you put your meter on one of each of those (be careful you need to do this with the dryer plugged in) first remove the cover then plug the dryer in. Put your meter probes one on each side of the outside posts there will be a red and a black wire on the two with the meter set at 500 V depending on, meter you have you should get 220-240 volts if not you have an electrical problem possibly the breakers bad or a wire on the plug in the wall is burnt off, be extremely careful when testing this with a plugged in. Let me know if you get the correct voltage across those two, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's how I did it, because the probes on my meter are too short to go deep enough into the outlet. I measured it the way you described above and that's when I got that "125" reading.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay this means you not getting the right amount of power so it's a power problem, you need to find out where you missing half to voltage, you should be getting at least 220 volts or 240 between the two, if you go from the center post with the white wire and then touch it to one of the outside ones one is the arena hundred and 125 Volts and the other nothing tell me if this is true if so you're missing half your power and it's the side that your motor runs on that's missing, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
center post to outside post reads about 75 volts, outside to outside about 125
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
to both outside posts? you need an electrician to come out and figure out whats wrong with the power. he needs to trace the issue.you may have a bad neutral, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry I hate not being able to give you all the answers but that an electrical issue , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.