Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Last night the sink with my garbage disposal would not drain.

Last night the sink with my garbage disposal would not drain. I plunged the sink and the water drained. Next my GE dishwasher next to the sink with the disposal leaked through the door. I scooped the water out of the dishwasher bottom and could only remove the arm at the bottom. I could not remove the parts to the filter and drain underneath the arm. Today the dishwasher will start up briefly and then stops. It will not keep running. What can I try? Thanks. Kris

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you take the hose off the garbage disposal under the sink and put it in a bucket and try draining the machine like that and tell me whether the water comes out of the machine at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took off the hose and about 1 tablespoon of water came out. The bottom of the dishwasher has ground up debris (carrot)
Okay so the water is not actually come out of the dishwasher, it's got nothing to do with the sink so will move on, remove part number 506 on this diagram and carefully reach down in there and remove any food or obstructions in the chopper assembly, be careful doing this because there could be glass down in there I've seen that a lot, here's the diagram, the part you need to remove the slack a little screen plastic, then clean out part number 508 just below that part, if that doesn't work then you will need to pull the machine out from under the cabinet and remove the pump assembly and clean it out, if you need to do that let me know and I'll try to explain how to do that also but first try cleaning the chopper assembly down in that catch trap below the screen 506, let me know if you pull a crap out of there, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry to take so long. I removed 506 and reached down into 508 but did not find anything other than a little water. How risky would it be for me to pull out the dishwasher? I am a female and would hate to ruin my kitchen floor, etc.

Thanks

this may be difficult if you dont have any room to clear the top. You open the door there are two screws connected to the countertop you need to remove those on the bottom you need to take the front panel under the door(the access panel) off and shut your water off under the sink shut the breaker off so theres no power to the machine, disconnect the power at the little junction box, disconnect the drain hose and pull it through when you pull the machine out and also you need to disconnect the water line then it should slide out for, you have to be real careful though or you can damage the cabinets or the floor, if you don't the you can do it I wouldn't attempt it it's not worth ruining something else to get it out, it would probably be a lot cheaper to just call it technician to have them taken out, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Brian. For whatever reason the dishwasher is now up and running. I appreciate all your instructions and diagram of the dishwasher parts. I won't need to pull it out from the counter afterall. Kris