Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator. Last night the

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator. Last night the freezer was left ajar and some things melted. The refrigerator temperature also went up to 57. After closing the freezer it appears the temp is declining but the refrigerator part is not dropping temp. I hear the motor constantly running but the top temp is slowly rising.
Help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you tell me if there is any Frost on the back panel behind the food in the freezer section? You may have to move your food to see but this is very important let me know if there's any Frost at all, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is frost along the top of the back panel behind the food. Possibly 3 1/2 inches from top to bottom and 7 inches wide. The freezer temp is slowly dropping and is now at 24 (from 38). Also, the motor just stopped when I closed the freezer door for the first time in a few hours.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, what happened is when you left the door open in order for the freezer and refrigerator to cool correctly the compressor kept running trying to bring the temperature down to where it belongs, this causes over frosting on the coils behind the panel which chokes off the air supply to the refrigerator section, this is slowly getting back to normal at this point but it may take all day to get back to where it needs to be, the problem is when the heater comes on for the defrost it's only on for so long so this may take a while before it's able to get rid of the excess Frost behind the panel in the freezer, there's one way to speed up this process if you wish to try it, you will need to remove that panel and take a hairdryer in defrost all the Frost on the coils then put it back together and let it cool, this will return to normal after about 10 hours usually, it is going to take some time to get back down to temperature though, this goes into defrost about every eight hours so if you do that hairdryer thing you will speed up this process just unplug the refrigerator remove the panel with the Frost on it inside the freezer in defrost with the hairdryer, when that's done put the panel back on plug it in and let it run, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How confident are you that if I just leave it alone that the refrigerator/freezer issue will resolve themselves on their own?

Also, I depresed the turbocool button and it is still engaged. If I am to allow the fridge/freezer to resolve on its own, should I disengage turbocool?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well what happens is like I said above the Frost is built up especially along the top of the coils were you saw the Frost on the panel it blocks the airflow into the refrigerator section all the cold air comes through the freezer and circulates through the refrigerator section so this could take a day before it recovers because only goes in the defrost every eight hours and stays in defrost for around 45 min. so I would think the best way to go about this is to do what I said remove the panel and defrosted with a hairdryer and then plug it back in and let it start cooling down, however this will still take around 24 hours to stabilize after you do this, you don't really have a mechanical problem or electrical problem it's just with the door open the refrigerator keeps running because it never reaches the temperature that the dials were set on so it's trying to catch up by running a long time which will freeze up the coils, I can't tell you with 100% certainty that this will recover if you left it alone, the defrost cycle is so short it may not get rid of all the Frost on the top of the coils, you really can't tell how bad it is unless you remove the back panel inside the freezer it might only take you 5 to 10 min. to defrost the top of the coils with a hairdryer, chances are it will recover but this could take 24 hours or more, using Turbo cool can do one of two things, one freeze this up even more, or two actually help the refrigerator section but that all depends on how much Frost is on the top of those coils, I know this sounds confusing but we do these all the time and we usually take them apart defrosted and put it back together and they run fine, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.