Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave technology microwave oven

I have a Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave technology microwave oven that will run for about 6 seconds and then show the code F-9. I do not have the manual for this appliance. Is this something I can fix myself? What does F-9 mean? I will be grateful for any help you can give me.
Thank You
Catherine Keefe
e-mail [email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The F9 error refers to a couple of different things, 1 you may have a bad inverter board or 2 the magnetron may be bad, most of the time is the inverter board that is bad, the problem with working on microwaves is these parts are on the high-voltage side and even with the microwave unplugged the high-voltage capacitor can store enough voltage to kill you, the inverter board for this may not even be available any longer, from what I'm seeing on this it showing it no longer available also called the PCB power control board, that's just one site that is saying no longer available so this doesn't mean it's not available it just means where I got the picture they don't have it there be safe and please call a tech to repair this, thanks Bryan