The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My whirlpool duet washer is leaking water into the drum, not

My whirlpool duet washer is leaking water into the drum, not outside. When the water get up to the door, then the water leaks outside of the washer. The water seems to be coming from the leftside of the gasket/seal were there is a slot in the gasket/seal. Can you help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Are you saying that the unit keeps filling on its own? e.g; without actually running a load?

Customer:

Yes, the water is dripping down the left side of the gasket/seal from the small rubber port of the gasket/seal.

The Home Smithy :

Ok. If the unit is filling on its own and then leaking out of the door seal when it gets up high enough then that is actually normal (the leak not filling on its own). The door has a lock mechanism that pulls the door tight during a wash cycle. If the unit is not in a cycle than the door is not completly sealed and it will leak if water is in it.
The problem is a leaking fill valve. Change it and no more water will leak into the unit when you are not useing it.
Give me a couple of minuets and I will get you parts ordering, and repair information.

Customer:

Ok, Thanks. Also how would I gain access to that part,front or back?

The Home Smithy :

From the top actually. Getting you the repair and parts ordering information now.

Customer:

Ok.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to order the new valve. One moment for the repair info.

The Home Smithy :

Sorry....Please click here.

Customer:

Can not connect to link that you sent.

The Home Smithy :

Sorry. Missing a letter in the link URL. Please click here

The Home Smithy :

To access the fill valve you need to remove the top of the unit. At the back of the unit along the top are three screws that hold the top on. Remove them and the top slides to the rear for removal. The valve is what the water supply lines connect to.

Customer:

Great, that should fix the problem?

The Home Smithy :

Yup! Replace the leaking valve and the water will stop leaking into the unit

Customer:

Thank you for the help.

The Home Smithy :

You are welcome.

The Home Smithy :

=)