Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Mytag front end loader about a year old making a loud grinding

Mytag front end loader about a year old making a loud grinding noise during spin cycle
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Does this also sound like a jet plane taking off?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
unfortunately the rear bearing is bad, this only comes with the entire rear tub assembly, they are pressed in at the factory and you cannot get the replacement bearing you would need to replace the entire rear tub assembly, I'm not sure on your warranty I'm checking that now since this is just a year old it may be that it's covered, I'll get back to you on that, but if you need to replace this bearing and tub assembly it's very expensive, over $400.00 just for the rear tub with the bearing and that's not including labor, let me check on the warranty for you and I'll see what I come up with on that, the rear tub assembly is number 8 on this diagram,as you can see it's quite a job you would need to tear the whole machine apart and literally take the entire tub assembly out and split it in half to replace the rear tub assembly, big job. I'll get back to you on the warranty info shortly, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this unit over a year old or under?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what causes this since the machine is almost new ? Unbalance load , not level
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
To be honest these are junk to begin with, the bearings in them are always bad, they're not made well if you do a lot of clothes and heavy loads this bearing will go, I can tell you this your machine is only a year old and all the warehouses I have checked have the rear tub assemblies on backorder, which tells you how many machines have had to have this replaced, is this over one-year-old? Unbalanced loads can also contribute to rear bearing failure, hasn't been bang around a lot when it was running? If so all those things contribute to bearing failure, I would contact Maytag which is actually whirlpool now and tell them the problem and how this machine is only a year old, I am including this link it will take you directly to the consumer part of Maytag, you can also check there to see if this is on the recall list, that's about all I can tell you unfortunately, here's the link though, thanks and well wishes, Bryan