Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Maytag range model MER5550AAW. The power went out.

We have a Maytag range model MER5550AAW. The power went out. When it came back on I tried to change the time. I accidentally hit the clean button. When I realized what I had done, I hit the cancel button. The "door lock" light is on and the screen reads "dr". We followed the instructions to wait a while , but the "dr" designation never went out. When I hit "cancel" it just goes through the cycle of the door lock light being on and then the 'dr' shows. I killed the power to the range for three hours but have the same problem when restarted. We also let it sit overnite, but the automatic door lock is still on. Is there any sort of "reset" process or button to clear this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

try putting this back into self clean mode for 15 minutese and then hit cancel. see if it unlocks, let me know thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I first got up this morning I hit the clean button. It makes a noise like the heating element is starting and then it shuts off and the "dr" pops back up on the display.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , is the door shut and locked or is it open but the latch hook is out ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
door is shut and locked. This range has an automatic lock, so there is no lever to release manually.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats not good it means the door latch has failed, it needs to be replaced, the hardest part though is getting open which even us technicians have trouble doing, you have to make a look of a coathanger and get it in between the door with the latch assembly is and hook the latch to pull the hook over, you will need to pull it over to the left you can see the hook in the picture at the bottom, this is what latches the door shut, this can be very difficult sometimes, but you latch assembly needs to be replaced and the door has to be open to get it out, the latch assembly runs around hundred and $126.00, if you can't get it open you will need to call the service tech to come out and get it open and replace it for you, I wish I had better news but that's what's going on with this, here's a link to the part if you can get the door open you can do-it-yourself, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Lock-Motor-and-Switch-Assembly/824898 thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already have a service tech scheduled to come next week for something else. I was looking for a simple solution. Sounds like the service tech is the answer as I have no inclination to even try your suggested solution. My eyes glazed over as I was reading your last message (my lack of technical skills). I was hoping there was some sort of "reset" by holding down two or three buttons on the control panel while restarting the power. Doesn't sound like it. The range is over 10 years old. Starting to look like replacing it is a cheaper option depending on the other "fix" it needs to get one of the coil burners working. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
There is no simple solution for this unfortunately, and there is no "reset" unfortunately did you say you are having somebody else come out to look at another problem with this range also