rick ready
rick ready, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 29 years exp. on all makes and models just ask
26453129

electric hookup for 240 volt hot water heater need healo

Category: Appliance
Expert:  rick ready replied 3 years ago.

rick ready :

hello i am here to help you.do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

yes

rick ready :

touch the black and red and see what volt you have

rick ready :

with the volt meter

Customer:

240

rick ready :

put the red to the red and the black to the black

Customer:

ok but there is a 3 white wire which reds 120 to either red or black do I just tape it off and note use it

rick ready :

is the white HOT?

rick ready :

touch the white wire and touch something metal

Customer:

when it put the volt meter on it and touch the other lead to either the red or black wire it reads 120 volts

rick ready :

with meter

rick ready :

does it read ?

rick ready :

hello

rick ready :

are you there?

Customer:

yes acrfoss the meter the white reads 120 when connected the either black or round so is it a neutral wire then and do i need it

Customer:

yes i m just not use tho this format please stay with me.

Customer:

the white wire seems to be a neutral return to the buss so can i just tape it off and not use it and connect acroos the red and black to the hot water heater connections

rick ready :

your white is acting as your ground attach it to the ground screw .

rick ready :

have you filled the tank yet?

Customer:

so if i understand i can connect the black and red leads from the circuit breaqker panel to the hot water heater which read 240 volts on my volt meter and the white which goes to the panel also to the green ground screw? dont want to blow up my nw heater so i m nervous

rick ready :

the white wire should be going to the meter with all the other white wires connect.

rick ready :

and yes you have it correct ,you need to fillthe tank b-4 you put power to the unit

Customer:

and therefor if I connect it to a ground screw on the hot water heater i will be gounding all the white wires in my house without causing a problem? sorry to be so stupid rick

rick ready :

correct there all common (ground) wires there wont be a prob.

rick ready :

you havent answered ,have you filled the tank w/water?

Customer:

Ok here goes friend It late and I'm tired and my wife is expecting a hot shower in the morning, thanks for your patience. Yes the heater is filled with water.

rick ready :

good if you power then water you burn out the element, everything is connected correctly if i have helped you please press the accept. bonus is apprecitaed thank you.

rick ready, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have 29 years exp. on all makes and models just ask