The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a 4-year old whirlpool duet washer - model GHW9150PW4

I have a 4-year old whirlpool duet washer - model GHW9150PW4 with a broken drum (hole in the drum). Repairman says he's never seen anything like it and that it will be a big job (at least $400) to fix. Is it worth fixing or should I just junk it? 4 years doesn't seem like a long enough life for a washer, but I don't want to throw money away on it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

One moment while I look up your unit in my service manual files.

The Home Smithy :

Is the hole in the outer drum? e.g; causing a leak?

The Home Smithy :

If the outer drum has a hole in it then most likely the main drum support bearing has worn out and caused the inner wash drum to wear a hole in the outer drum. This is a major repair and not one that I recommend that you do. These units are know for this problem, and unfortunatly are really not worth repairing. For the price of the repair you can almost get a new front loading unit, or a really nice top loader.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer:

Not sure if the hole is in the outer drum but it definitely leaks (more like a flood)! Thanks for the info; guess I will bite the bullet and get a new one. Any suggestions on which brand is best for the front loaders ( I prefer front loaders because I think they do a better job of cleaning the clothes). I know there are no guarantees, but It would be nice to not be buying again in another 4 years...

The Home Smithy :

To be honest Im a die hard top loader fan. The unit I have is an old whirlpool and it does an excellent job getting my clothes clean. If I were to recommend a front loader it would have to be a Meile. They have been making commercial dry cleaning machines (all front loaders) for many years and have the technology down pat. They are expensive, but well worth the investment if you want the best.

The Home Smithy :

Other than that the newer Maytags have the bugs worked out of them. The main bearing problems, control board problems, and the infamous wax motor problems have all been reengineered.

Customer:

Thanks - appreciate the info

The Home Smithy :

You are welcome. =)

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances